It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro DP Garisuke 170mm First Impression
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:38 pm 

Bought this hefty little knife from Joe last week and have been very impressed with it so far. It's got a big, beefy Western handle which suites the weight of the knife just fine and as I'm not really using it for chipping or slicing, I'm not overly concerned about the blade's balance.

Pakka wood handle is done well and is completely flush with the bolster, tang and rivets. The blade is single bevel and the convexing on the dominant-hand side of the knife is exaggerated but well ground. The weak-hand side of the blade is fairly concave which, I suppose will reduce drag. Joe put a very nice edge on the VG10 steel so received it super sharp.

I've used the knife to break down Sea Bass steaks (skinning and boning) and was completely blown away with how proficient a single bevel knife is for the task. Skinning fish steaks has never been this clean and seamless. I really had no idea what I was missing out on in that regard. Indeed, the performance through fish was so stellar that I am seriously considering exploring other tradition Japanese patterns.
The knife also saw work breaking down a semi-thawed chicken. Joe was right in pointing out that the blade is slightly too long to be truly proficient with chicken, put it still performed the job admirably and didn't flinch at the frozen center of breasts or through joints.

This has been a great buy so far and tremendous introduction to single bevel knives for me. Thanks Joe!

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP Garisuke 170mm First Impression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:29 am 

You're welcome! Thanks for the write-up...as you know, I've been wondering how the knife has been working out for you. I'm glad it found new uses in a new home.

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP Garisuke 170mm First Impression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 am 

I've been considering a Deba for some time. I have been trying to get more fish into my diet for several months now, and one of the hindrances has been the cost of buying prepared fish from markets. There are a couple local places where whole trout and great lakes salmon can be bought cheaply, and smoked salmon is one of my favourite foods, so a Deba seems like it would make sense.

Thanks for reinforcing the notion that single bevel knives are much better for these tasks for me, may as well have lit my wallet on fire! :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]