It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kono HD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 pm 

I purchased this knife awhile back and decided that I have had this knife long enough to give a through review.

First Impressions:
This blade is ridiculously thin and light, I know it is mentioned a lot when you here about this knife but you can't quite get the feel and understanding of it until it is in your hand. When you hold this knife in hand it feels just right like it kinda belongs. The steel is something else, it is like nothing I have ever used. I found the height to be just perfect for me, mine measured roughly 50mm, not to short nor to tall.
Dislikes:
The main thing that I had a problem with at first was the profile as I am used to a longer flatter profile than this one. To me this knife has just to much belly and not enough of a flat spot, mainly because I'm a push cutter. There was just a slight "step down" on it, but thats just nit picking.The F&F was quite nice but not a good as I had heard or envisioned.

After Some Use:
After a month of pretty solid use the profile kinda grew on me, it still hasn't replaced my Tanaka Sekiso, but it is pretty close behind. As I mentioned earlier the profile is more of a rocking style blade. I learned to kinda counter act the profile by doing what I'm gonna call a rocking push cut. I pick up the blade like a push cut but do the motions like a rock cut. I still kinda baby it as I'm a bit timid due to the extreme thinness of this blade especially after it drew blood from me about a month ago. The edge this thing can take is very nice, it sharpens like a carbon but acts like a stainless. I was able to put a 5k Rika that made it scream like nothing I have ever done before, it actually kinda frightens me a bit due to the sharpness.

Overall:
I would recommend this knife especially if you are a "rocker", if not you might wanna wait for the funayuki style gyuto to come back in stock.

Post subject: Re: Kono HD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm 

Leal92 wrote: There was just a slight "step down" on it, but thats just nit picking.

Are you talking about the Handle/Ferrule junction?

Mowgs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:59 pm 

Nice writeup Leal, but you forgot to mention which knife it is in the lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 pm 

You gotta love that HD steel! I find the profile makes the knife more versatile. I push cut with it with no trouble at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 am 

Are you talking about the Handle/Ferrule junction?
Yes thats exactly what I am talking about, it was quite faint, but you can tell that it was there. Though the problem is now solved just a simple sanding job and its all better now.
Snipes: The lineup I have is 2 Tanaka Sekisos (240 gyuto and 165 nakiri) and a 240 Addict AEBL. I'm also contemplating to get either a mini gyuto petty or a funayuki for my smaller tasks
JeffB: I found it a bit difficult to push cut because I was constantly get accordions every time, maybe its just user error on my behalf.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:35 am 

It may be the knife too. It might not fit your style or maybe the profile is slightly different from mine from production variances. Mine has a pretty nice flat spot on the back third of the knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 am 

hi Leal92.

nice review. which knife did you review? is it the gyuto? 210mm? 240mm? thanks again.

pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm 

studio398 wrote:hi Leal92.

nice review. which knife did you review? is it the gyuto? 210mm? 240mm? thanks again.

pat

I would like to know as well. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 am 

You have put my thought about this knife into words perfectly.
Every day I use it I love it more.
One day I'll pluck up the courage to put it on my 5k Rika too. But I think more sharpening practice is called for first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 am 
Forum Moderator

MAUI <> How are you sharpening her now?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next