It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu AS 210 Gyuto knife review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

One of the selected gift knives was your relatively new Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm Gyuto. I put the knife through its paces, and I was sorry to let it go by the end of the week. What a great knife! I love Aogami supersteel, and this knife is a great example. What also grabbed me was the “feel” of the blade. In some cases, sandwich designs do not have the same “feel” as a monosteel design, but the Kohetsu is just great. The handle is also well thought through – very nicely finished octagonal Ho wood. After some elbow grease and some Ubeaut EEE cut/polish, followed by Ubeaut traditional wax, the Ho really glows and shows some nice depth within the timber grain.

AS you can gather, I am mightily impressed with this knife, sir!

Tom

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu knife review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 am 

This knife was recommended to me for line cook/prep work by one of your resident knife lunatics. He suggested I go for this knife over the Goko knife.

Can you tell me and the forum a little bit more about this knife maker? How many people work for the shop...I'm starting to be of the impression that the amount of small artisan knife makers in Japan is overwhelming. What exactly is the law of diminishing? I mean crafting a knife is a genuine skill but at what point do you declare something so special as to justify an out of the ordinary price.

Carbon steel and stainless cladding are features I truly desire. My first and only carbon knife I have is a generic old forgecraft knife with a hickory wood handle. I bought it for 3$ at my local thrift store.

I remember simply banging it on my old henkels real bone handled steel and having a decent edge. Of course now I know steeling is for honing the edge straight and not actually sharpening. The old timers have told me carbon is better than stainless.

So it seems the cladding of stainless to carbon blades is the holy grail. I am really appreciative of the prices you offer such unique knives. If I do not buy my next knife from you I will probably buy it from another brick and mortar store that is also a distributor of fine japanese knives.

I'm seriously considering a Masakage knife. Everything I've read about them on the internet suggests I'm getting a really cool, non mass produced knife at an exceptional price. I mean it's not cheap, but it's certainly not a Kramer or Carter price :)

Rant almost over :)

Just 48 ounces of craft beer makes me a little talkative. I am very grateful and happy you do what you do. It's so awesome to see an on-line an brick and mortar store succeed.

Last but not least...You mentioned that you will be going to Japan for a trip next year...I know you probably want to relax and not think about the knife business...but could you please show us some videos of the shops who make the finest affordable blades in the world? Really I think you could hit a home run for self promotion but also give the customers a sense of pride in what they buy...

Okay I'm almost done...One last suggestion...Can you please let customers know how they can personally contact the knife makers via snail mail with compliments. I think it would greatly benefit the knife maker and the customers of the shop.

We can place all the stars on-line for reviews till the cows come home. But imagine if you shared on the store website how to contact the very makers of such fine blades with compliments. I know I would personally take the time to write a letter to the maker if I knew how to do so...Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude...

Thanks again for selling cool knives, I hope to do business with you in the future.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]