It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono Yanagiba with Rotten Handle ... Salvageable?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:38 pm 

Hi guys!

I've recently bought a rarely used Kono Fujiyama Yanagiba Kiritsuke 270mm in White #2. I love the knife so far, it's my second Kono and I've been looking forward to getting my hands on one of this kind for quite some time now. Regardless, I am still eyeballing another HD2 Gyuto … ;-)

Acquired at a reasonable price, the knife was in perfect condition - except for the handle. The sealant / glue was porous and thus moisture could enter the area between the handle and the blade. This area seems to be source of a quite pungent fishy stench which I can’t get rid off somehow. About 8-10mm of glue are missing from three sides. I guess food residues happened to come inside and, as a consequence, the wood started to rot. Also small spots of rust appeared on the surface :-(

Picture: http://abload.de/img/img_5346nhehz.jpg

I would love to take the handle off and see what’s going on underneath. Would be a shame if the blade was seriously damaged. And since I live in Germany, it’s going to be a hassle to send the knife to Mark and have him re-handle it (if that’s even possible for knives that weren’t purchased at his store).

My questions are now:
- Could a bit of surface rust seriously damage the knife? as in it breaks at some point when load is applied?
- I’ve seen a few clips on YouTube on how to remove a Wa handle, however none of those applies to glued handles. The authors of said videos recommend using a wooden bar that is longer than the blade. I should hold the knife against the bar and use a hammer on the other end of the bar to get the handle off. Sound about right?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Post subject: Re: Kono Yanagiba with Rotten Handle ... Salvageable?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:32 pm 

Surface rust will not be a structural integrity problem. If you get the blade out you should be able to clean it up. Even minor pitting would be fine. You would have to have significant rust into the steel for there to be a problem that would cause the tang to snap.

You can use the same method to remove some glued on handles. It really depends on the amount of glue used. The more glue, the more likely the handle will break. In this case it sounds like you want to replace the handle anyway, as it is rotting, so damage to the handle trying to get it off is a non-issue. I generally feel more comfortable having taped up the blade before trying to pound a handle off, both to protect the blade and to protect me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 pm 

If you are sending it off to be re-handled, just have that person take it off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> That handle need be removed, and the tang need be sanded clean of rust before a new handle is installed.

Knock it off like this:

Make & install a handle like this... <--link, or send it off to any handle guy to do the job. CKTG will be more than glad to do the work <--link as will any of the guys here <--link on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 am 

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah. I will take it off eventually. Was thinking the same thing as it is somehow only a band-aid method if I were to only put some new epoxy adhesive in the gap. The rust and the rotten wood would remain inside ... I just have to find a way with which I can salvage the handle, as I don't want it destroyed. Hope your video works also for glued Kono handles ;)

I have the tools for the job at my Dad's. Will try it out next week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 am 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> Konosuke wa-handles are notoriously difficult to remove w/o breakage, and I would not be disappointed when it ends up damaged. Consensus dictates 80% breakage upon their removal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

If you need a replacement handle we have ones on the site. If you want something cheap we have ones that we knock off. Just email me and I'll see what we have that might work for you.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you seal the gaps in the handle with a 2 part epoxy, that may keep the water from going into the handle and may also reduce the stink from the tang/handle gap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:35 pm 

Even though I sealed my tangs, I always hold my knives blade sightly down when washing to keep water from running back toward or in the handle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:32 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Even though I sealed my tangs, I always hold my knives blade sightly down when washing to keep water from running back toward or in the handle.

I do this as well. Even with the gap sealed up I don't trust it to be fully impermeable to water, especially when the handle has untreated wood visible at the front.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]