It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HHH knives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 am 

I'm curious about how these beauties perform. They certainly look beautiful and most likely better in person and I imagine the craftsmanship to be top notch on the in house creations. I've been scouring the various online forums and can't seem to find much in the way of customer reviews on what I'll call the custom knives. With a few of his knives getting ready to hit the cktg store I'm interested in hearing some original opinions on the functional aspects such as steel properties, grind, heat treat, and even thoughts on what I'll call the modified western handles. How do handles like that behave in a pinch grip?

Post subject: Re: HHH knives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 pm 

Randy's craftsmanship is superb. I have a 240mm AEB-L gyuto of his. Nice profile, EXCELLENT grind, very good HT, light but not a laser and just a great overall cutter. I'm going to steal a line from a review of another of Randy's customers, "I fall a little more in love with the knife every time I use it". Randy makes some of the most beautiful and comfortable handles you will find on a knife anywhere.
As far as characteristics I'm sure his knives vary with size, style and steel as with any knife maker, but If you have an interest in owning one of his knives I doubt you would be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:29 pm 

Thanks for your insight Jeff. I would say I'm curious at this point more so than interested, I have a rough idea in my head of what the knives will be priced at so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. Your comments are good to hear. Did you purchase one of Randy's in house knife creations? The reason I ask is I saw he offered a production run over the past holiday season for a knife with similar steel and characteristics as yours, that was produced to his specifications by a third party manufacturer? I have no opinion on that either way, just want to make sure I'm understanding the context. I did see some of his AEB-L knives on his website and they looked great. Personally that cleaner style appeals to me. Also, did you get yours in a wa handle?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 pm 

Mine is one of his #'ed production knives with yo handle. If his production knives are this nice I could only imagine what it would feel like to hold one of his custom Damascus knives. Unfortunately they are way out of my budget. Randy has a well deserved reputation for detail and quality not to mention just beautiful knives. Hoping to one day find a deal on one of his customs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 pm 

Thanks again Jeff and yes I imagine if his limited edition runs are that nice, the custom stuff should be special.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]