It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Grinding stones...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:07 am 

So what have you used, use now, or wish to use when its time to hog metal? I'm talkin a box of CPM154 @ Rc62 all needing new bevels, no cheap steels, no low rockwells, when its time to grind premium blades what's your stone?

I have a,
DMT XXC
Nubatama,
Ume 60grit
Bamboo 120
Bamboo 180

The DMT is great with high wear high vanadium steels but seems to choke on kitchen knives in most standard alloys. This was the reason I started looking for a new stone.

Ume 60 grit I knew was not a sharpening stone before I finished my first stroke, flattens like a champ though.

Bamboo 120, this stone is like beast mode! I really think its faster than a belt sander though its uses are knife specific. It's ideal on large bevels or full convex grinding but for the standard double bevel it has some problems. The mud is thick and likes to "polish" the metal above the bevel or just completely scratch the side depending on angle of attack. This would be one of my top choices if it wasn't for the extreme rate of wear and price.

Bamboo180, hard stone that's slow to wear. Makes a little bit of fine mud. Good for minor work or to take out coarser grinding but not a powerful grinding stone, say medium strength :D

So that brings me here. I've decided to try a naniwa 150 Omura next, good price, good reviews, and my type of stone. (I like muddy stones). But what else should I look at? What puts a smile on your face when you know its time to grind hard steel and lots of it?

Post subject: Re: Grinding stones...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Well I love the 140 Atoma, but not so much for single bevels or wide bevels like the Moritaka knives. They tend to scratch the soft cladding too deep and it takes a long time to get them out. However, they perform on pretty much everything else I've tried.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

For real abrasion resistant steels, I'm still a fan of diamond films -and Atoma plates. I'm also a fan of adding some coarse CBN on waterstones, as coarse as 80 microns to greatly accelerate abrasion rates on coarse stones and say 15 micron CBN on a 1k stone. I really like that 150 Nubatama too. It is one thirsty stone but I love the way it cuts.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm 

I guess my only concern is that it won't be much different from my XXC and how long it will last. My XXC is slow to grind on all the steels I sharpen for Mark and I just feel a waterstone would better serve me.

Ken, I've been thinking of the 150 bamboo but Idk, is it that much different? I need cutting power like the 120 without all the wear. The CBN sounds cool but I've shifted gears away from compounds for a while, maybe in the future :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well the 165 micron diamond film is even coarser than the Atoma 140 or DMT XXC. I don't find the 150 too quick wearing yet still aggressive, but I've learned that YMMV. If you want to 'taste' a little 80 micron CBN on a stone you already have, PM me :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:02 am 

What do you mean the DMT seems to choke on kitchen knives in most standard alloys ?
Could you describe this process? I've been meaning to add the EEC in my collection.

1) Is it true that the Atoma 140 has bigger diamonds than the DMT EEC 120micron stone?

2) Does the Nubatama 120 still have those problems if you use it with a constant drip of water and no mud? Have you experimented with this constant dripping by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 am 

Personally I have never experienced the DMT XXC not being able to take off a heap of metal in short time.
No matter what type of steel you put on it.
It's my goto for quick removal.

For cleaning up the scratches from the XXC I usually take out the Shapton 220 Glass.
A fast cutter on it's own, especially if you lap it & the the slurry stay on it turns into a very fast cutter that doesn't wear very fast.

And then there is always the beltsander. Can't beat the speed of a 80 grit belt & with a flat platten you get a perfect new bevel within seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jens wrote:Personally I have never experienced the DMT XXC not being able to take off a heap of metal in short time.
No matter what type of steel you put on it.
It's my goto for quick removal.

For cleaning up the scratches from the XXC I usually take out the Shapton 220 Glass.
A fast cutter on it's own, especially if you lap it & the the slurry stay on it turns into a very fast cutter that doesn't wear very fast.

And then there is always the beltsander. Can't beat the speed of a 80 grit belt & with a flat platten you get a perfect new bevel within seconds.

+1 to everything the big Swede says. :D Can't believe I haven't noticed you yet Jens, I read every post...must have missed a couple.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am 

Yes, I'm subtle like a summer breeze... Just snuck under the radar :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I do have a 60 grit diamond plate that I use but it is a real beast and expensive. I do find the 60 grit Nubatoma stone great for fast metal removal and I do have some 170 micron CBN if you REALLY want to cut through metal fast (needs to be put on a stone) like the 64 or ~25 grit Nubatama Aratae. Here the ral advantage of these two ultracoarse Nubatamas is the slow wear rate for a very coarse stone.. You will find the Naniwa Ohmura and the natural Ohmuras wear faster and dish a good bit quicker.

Now for fast metal removal with diamonds, the 165 micron diamond film works very well and is a very tough film.

Check out the rate that this works on a CPM-M4 Spyderco Mannix 2, a very abrasion resistant steel. This film can be used edge leading and trailing. Cuts through abrasion resistant steels 'like butta'.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/150midishpl1.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/di3shpl150mi.html

PM me for the 2x6" size.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next