It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro Bread knife dillema
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm 

I asked Mark of CKTG already about this and he had never heard of this being done so I am putting it out into the ether of the www in hopes that someone has tried this or willing to try this on my knife. I have one of the saber Tojiro 270 dp bread knives. Unfortunately it is ground for right hand use and I am left-handed. My question is this...is it possible to re-shape it in such a way that is is either neutral or left handed? When a lefty like myself uses the knife it tracks decidedly off center. Of course I am not going to attempt this myself as I do not trust my sharpening skills or knowledge of steels. Anyone care to chime in? Obviously I don't care about warranties as I don't think there are any to begin with. Most if not every bread knife is right hand ground from what I've seen but none are as long as the tojiro.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tojiro Bread knife dillema
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:07 pm 

I'm going to go with no. The only practical way I can think of would be to have the machine that put the sinus edge on there at the Tojiro factory and put the blade in backwards.

I am surprised and a bit disappointed to hear that it steers on you. I wonder if there is a creative outside solution here. Like re-shaping the handle at an angle so that the blade is set slightly askew to your grip, like you do when re-sawing lumber. The blade being slightly tilted shouldn't matter with a bread knife. I'm just spitballing here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 am 
Forum Moderator

You could send me a PM about this. I do know someone who could put serrations on a knife. So the real question would be if you just wanted to start with a non serrated knife or try to rework a right handed knife into a left handed one. The procedure is pretty straightforward with the proper but somewhat expensive equipment.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 am 

also my problem with this knife. it's a fantastic knife from what i've seen on videos. i really want this knife but i can't use it since i too am a lefty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 pm 

Thanks Ken. I am debating my options. Try to use my offhand when using this knife or what you suggest. I am also considering just trying to slowly regrind the scallops individually and hopefully over time it will become a southpaw. I like the idea of having a long straight ground for a lefty. That would be ideal but I am a student and on a budget and already looking at some new stone purchases and knife upgrade. Even if I got this knife to neutral it would be a bonus. I just bought one for a wedding gift so it is not like I don't like the knife. It just steers left like the alignment is off, which I suppose it is for me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]