It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Starter set
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:37 pm 

I was planning on purchasing the 5 piece kit but it's on back order. Can I get recommendations to build out a starter set of wet stones? I'm tempted to to go with the Nubatama Ume 1k medium and Nubatama bamboo 6k. My knives consist of soft German steel to blue paper steel. Also, do I need a strop or a sharpening steel or would a 6k stone work for touch up and finish work?

Post subject: Re: Starter set
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm 

The 400 "Latte" is a super value and a really nice stone in that range.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm 

For the price I think the 1k bamboo gold and 5k bamboo might be a better choice.

I demonstrate the stones in this video

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/beston500.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html

Two of the stones in the set are still available, it's the Suehiro Rika that's gone out of stock.

I would definitely recommend those two as they're fantastic.

I've heard nothing but good things about the stone Jason recommends:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuume5kst.html

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it based on his appoval.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Latte 400, Bester 1200, Rika 5K would be a great combo, but the Rika is OOS. I don't think I've used another synthetic 5K stone since I had the Rika; I used a King 6000 but didn't really like it after getting the Rika, so I can't help out with another 5K stone to recommend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Jason I like your recommendation (obviously) These two stones came late into the bamboo series, but are excellent both in terms of cost and performance. The 1k Ume medium is a bit softer than the 1k Bamboo gold and is also a good choice.

I've had a chance to use pretty much all of the 5k stones out there and really like the 5k Bamboo - not as hard as the Shapton Pro or GS, not as soft as the 5k Choceras or superstones in general. Does everything a S. Rika does and more (IMO), having tried it a few times too. Feel is somewhat similar, but especially on carbon steel (for example the blue paper steel) is superior. Pretty close on stainless. Personally depending on the steel a 1k to 6k is a big spread and a 5k is IMO a better choice for a 2 stone solution. Also a superb lead in into a higher grit natural polishing stone.

Stropping would be a matter of how refined of an edge you prefer. The 5k would be fine enough for lots of tasks, but I'd strop on a 1.5 micron CBN strop (12k) if you want to go just a bit finer for maintaining your edge.

---
Ken

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm 

Arashiyama 1k and 6k is a good set that works well together and a lower grit stone can always be added later if/when needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Arashiyama 1k and 6k is a good set that works well together and a lower grit stone can always be added later if/when needed.

Can't disagree with that one either :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]