It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kato W#2 edge retention
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 pm 

I've discussed this with a couple of guys, but wanted to see if I could get broader feedback. For the past month or so, I've noticed that the edge retention on my Kato in 210 has been somewhat lacking. At first, I assumed I had a wire edge, so put it through a progression again using a cork in between stones. To this point, I was taking through 4K with a pretty extensive 8K finish (started out with 10 edge trailing strokes per side working down).
The issue still presented itself as the knife was losing screaming sharpness after a couple of days of decent work. My technique is perfectly fine, so I wasn't driving it into my board, which is a soft edge grain. I do primarily push and pull cut, so there is more blunt contact than rocking, but nothing my other knives haven't seen.
Decided that the knife probably shouldn't be taken up to an 8K finish (like a bit more tooth anyway so that's fine). Didn't run it through a full progression, but generated a burr at 1K and finished with 4K using the same method described above. In this instance, the edge is holding up better, but still displays a drop off in sharpness after a few pounds of produce.
I may have the bevel a bit too acute, though I tried to remain relatively true to the smith's angle. Thinking I may take it up a degree or two. I also purchased a 2K stone and a 6K stone as I thought there were some gaps in my progression anyway.
I guess, I'm curious if others have found similar phenomenon with W#2 (obviously heat treat will be different with other makers) and if daily stropping is the answer that I'm looking for or if there may be other things to consider as it relates to my sharpening technique.
Thanks in advance guys!

As a side note, for a home cook, I do cook quite a bit and go through a few pounds of produce and protein daily as prep and general practice with my knives so while not line cook levels of use, they do see their fair share of work.

Post subject: Re: Kato W#2 edge retention
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hey Chip, could you give us all a little more general background on this issue in relation to your sharpening and to your other knives/steels? For example, I think you use an edge pro on everything, I think you've been using around a 10 degree edge on the Kato (and on everything else?), and I think you've had more luck with better edge retention with some of your other knives despite using the same progression of stones. Is this true? I think this kind of info might be useful to some of the more experienced sharpeners.

Otherwise, I'll just reiterate that using training strokes above 1-2k helped me a lot with similar issues. I also had similar issues with edges on some of my knives until I got rid of most of the factory steel—I know you're aware of this, too. And, while I've experienced with different angles, I found that this has had less of an effect over-all than I thought it would—in general, it means I loose refinement more quickly, but I also get it right back with just a bit of stropping. Before, when I lost an edge, it would take more touch-up to get it back, which makes me think your angles are probably not the issue...but who knows! I don't use an edge pro, so it is possible my angles were never quite as acute as a thought...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 pm 

Hey Joe, thanks for the response, and your advice from the other day has certainly helped. Your assumptions about what I'm doing are pretty much correct though the edge angle is probably closer to 13-14 deg. per side. I think that the gaps in stones I had available may have something to do with it as well as I was making pretty large jumps in refinement levels. I'm hoping a 500, 1K, 2K progression with a few light edge trailing strokes with 4K or 6K will do the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 pm 

One more thing to note: The OOTB edge was awesome and held very, very well. It's only since I started putting a stone to it that I've had the issue, so fairly certain it is something I am doing/not doing that is the root of the problem.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]