It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where to find beat up knives for practice?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:10 am 

Hi CKTG,

Where does one find a stockpile of old beat up knives in want of sharpening?

What else can we practice on?

Post subject: Re: Where to find beat up knives for practice?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:22 am 

Antique stores, garage sales, big box retail outlets, Chinatown, or if someone is upgrading a bunch of cheapos, see if they'll let you take them off their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:17 pm 

flea markets are good too

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 pm 

Goodwill, or any type of 'mart selling items to support non-profits.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:56 pm 

Family

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:47 pm 

Not an exact analogue but when I was learning I also sharpened all my edges tools as part of my experimentation. Mirrored edges on my pruning sheers, axes, lawn mower blade, plane irons, chisels, scissors, etc.

One thing that was nice about a lot of tools is they are very simple edges. Often single bevel and perfectly straight, no belly. A chisel is a great, very simple edge to work with. Because they are carbon steel they also take awesome edges quickly, great confidence builder. My first shaving edge was a chisel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:59 pm 

friends at work. most of their knives haven't been sharpened in years. you will almost certainly return them sharper than you found them. great practice.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:46 pm 

My coworkers have brought me TONS of knives to sharpen in the the 6 months. That's been good practice for sure; to echo what Pat says above.

I personally also like to have some cheap blades to play with that I can not really care if I make a big mistake while trying something new. I have a small box of knives I bought from a local thrift store. They were unbelievably cheap. I think I spent about $5.50 for 5 knives ranging from 4" to 6". All were beaten up, but that's part of the fun of practicing on them: I can make them better than they were when I got them. Some actually seem to have fairly decent steel. Nothing special, but not Chinese garbage either.

Brian.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 am 

my wife and i went for a short visit to her father's lakeside camp the other day. i saw this stainless steel kitchen knife stuck in the side of a tree. i believe it was a community knife used for fishing purposes. so i inspected it, and it was quite dull. i pulled up a chair next to the campfire and started sharpening it on the side of a brick. very relaxing. i stuck with it, it took me about 30 minutes, but it ended up being very sharp even by my standards. i put it back where i found it. the next person to use it will be pleasantly surprised. just my little way of "paying it forward".

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:45 am 

You should try the sidewalk next. The number of things you can use to sharpen a tool is pretty amazing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next