It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening Aritsugu Santoku
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 pm 

Hi All,

Hoping that you will be able to help me out. I've got an Aritsugu Santoku ( Wagokoro ) that I picked up when I was in Japan a few years ago. It is still my favourite knife ( mainly as it has my name engraved on it in Japanese :) ).

I've been sharpening it on whetstone for the last year and have recently increased my collection of whetstones, but I'm not very happy with the edge I'm able to get on it and more importantly keep on it.

I've got the following stones

240/1000 Combination stone ( not anything special )
3000/8000 Combination stone ( not anything special Grunwerg I think )
10000 Stone ( Naniwia Superstone )
Also got some natural slate stones for straight razor sharpening.

I've never taken it down as far as the 240 I usually do a progression on the 3000/8000 and recently tried it on the 10000.

I can get it cutting nicely but it doesn't stay sharp for as long as I would like neither do I think I've got it as sharp as it was originally.

Can anyone offer any advise on how to get a good edge back on it and what grit I should go up to?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

P.s: Album of pics https://imgur.com/a/NAg94

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Aritsugu Santoku
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Without knowing more about your stones, I'd recommend refreshing the edge using the 1K side of your 240/1000 combo stone. Paint the entire edge bevel on both sides with Sharpie. Make sure you get a really sharp edge on this stone first. This is your foundation for the edge. Finer grit stones are really meant to simply refine a good sharp edge bevel, not fix issues. Once you get a good edge on the 1K, then I'd refine it on your 3000 side of the 3K/8K combo stone and leave it at that - maybe stropping a little if you finish on strop(s). Depending on many factors, including the steel characteristics, highly refined edges like 8K/10K often don't retain their sharpness as well as edges finished in the 3-5K range.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 pm 

Thanks for the advise steve think I'll give that go.

I've worked out what my stones where

240/1000 is a Global Dual Stone http://www.loosescookshop.co.uk/store/p ... Whetstone/
3000/8000 is a Grunwerg Dual Stone http://www.loosescookshop.co.uk/store/p ... Whetstone/

so nothing to special I'd be quite willing to replace them with something better if anyone can offer some recommendations?

I've heard good things about shaptons and naniwia stones but any specific recommendations would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steve pretty much got this right. If you aren't equaling or exceeding the original edge it isn't a problem with grits finer than 1k. Unless you are rounding the edge off with these stones.

I have found a few Aritsugus that behaved poorly at lower bevel angles so you might go with a more obtuse angle or at least try a microbevel for your more obtuse angle - greater than 16 degrees. Finer angles resulted in erratic behavior with edges getting suddenly duller at higher grits. Frustratingly odd phenomena :(

Using the sharpie trick is also a very good idea.

Sometimes starting with a freshly redone bevel using a diamond plate will help. Here a 400 grit plate would be ideal but you could go coarser if you don't have a finer plate.

Let us know how this works out.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:44 am 

After so long, you really need to get in there and reset your bevel. As Ken said, something in the 400 range would be best, but the 1000 grit could work out if you really get in there and work it. The knife has to be sharp coming off the first stone you use, regardless of the grit. Once you set the bevel with the coarse stone, the higher grits simply polish. The edge has already been established.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:46 am 

It sounds like it needs a new bevel with fresh steel. If you feel confident in your sharpening skill take it to the 240 and put a new bevel on the knife then take it to the 1k and 3k. It should have a screaming edge then. It should be sharp off the 240, don't stop until it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:10 am 

Thanks a lot for the input guys most appreciated.

I will have to be brave and give it a go resetting the bevel. I think my biggest problem with sharpening is going to quickly through the stones. Is it a case of that it should be shaving hair sharp off the 240? or is there a less extreme test of sharpness at this point?

Ken you mentioned using a plate is there a reason to use a plate over a stone when setting the bevel?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:11 pm 

When I set a bevel with a 320 grit stone I can shave hair with it. At the very least you should be able to slice paper with it.

If you start with a diamond plate it will remove steel faster but you would still need a transition stone, like your 240, before you move to your 1k because diamonds leave deeper scratches. Effectively changing from diamond scratches to synthetic stone scratches.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]