It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: I am losing my needle point tips.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:10 am 

I am sharpening freehand almost exclusively now. I think I think I am coming to a new learning curve.
But somewhere something went wrong. It seems I am losing my needle like tips.
Is it the acute angles on the bevels. I am frustrated.
They start great but end up less sharp.
Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: I am losing my needle point tips.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:13 am 

As a follow up...
I am not going off the stone by over shooting. And I think my angle is constant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:37 am 

Show us some pictures of your tips if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:14 pm 

You are probably over grinding on the tip.When you sharpen to excessively the edge extends up an around the tip creating a rounded edge instead of a abrupt needle point. Concentrate on stopping your sharpening motion when you reach the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

DELI <> As JEFFB, requests, photos will help us diagnose where you're going wrong, but I can nearly guarantee your "constant angle" is the cause of your dilemma.

Contrary to BBC's claim of an overgrind, I suspect you are entirely missing the tip of the tip, and therefore not grinding it at all. The angle of the tip is not constant so utilizing a constant angle will miss the tip of the tip. This can be addressed by lifting the handle slightly at the stage of the strokes in which the tip of the tip is reaching the stone face. This will force this tip of the tip to contact the stone face.

If you understand what I am explaining, this adjustment will instantly allow you to create tack sharp tips.

~ please excuse spelling & brevity as I am posting via cell phone... w/o any sleep in too long ~

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:51 pm 

I hear that.
I am and have been raising the handle on the stroke to follow the bevel.
but maybe too much?
I tried putting a picture up this morning, but to no avail.
I will try again.
Thanks...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Too much, would leave BBC's assessment correct as you would be effectively grinding off the edge at the tip. You can see clear as day whatever you're doing by simply looking at the bevel... you'll see if you're missing it or if not, how you're grinding it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:27 pm 

Practice. It will click and your knives will look great. :) It may take a bit to get it look right or a lot stone work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:23 pm 

At the start of a sharpening session is the tip sharp? At the end it is less sharp?

Or at the start of session it is dull and it's the same at the end of the sharpening session?

The answer will tell you which of the two things you are doing incorrectly. Doing tips isn't difficult, but it *is* it's own thing. Once I figured it out things really changed with the tips I was sharpening.

Good luck.

Brian.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:59 am 

[quote="bgentry"]At the start of a sharpening session is the tip sharp? At the end it is less sharp?

Or at the start of session it is dull and it's the same at the end of the sharpening session?

I think both of those are happening. I need what you say as a knowledge of this separate skill set.
Most if the time they come out satisfactory, but just that. I was doing someone's Kershaw and I noticed the meanest tip I have seen in a while and decided to use my Edge Pro to be safe and was very careful not to touch it much.
But I want to do it freehand. I would love to phase out the EP totally from my set up...or at least not need it because of lack of confidence and inexperience.

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next