It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Need help filling a gap in my sharpening lineup
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 pm 

As it stands right now, here is my lineup:

140 Atoma
220 King
<Empty>
Jnat Aono Aoto
5k Superstone/
Natural Finisher

No restrictions.s

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Need help filling a gap in my sharpening lineup
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

NBLES <> BAMBOO 800. <-- link I don't claim to have used her... yet, BUT I will possess her at some point & have only refrained from pulling the trigger due to finances. When I order knives I set a budget and then what ever fits within it to the dollar does... like Tetris.. the 800 has yet to find a spot, but it's a lot of stone for $86 & the synopsis summarizes exactly what I would like out of an 800, "...close to splash and go. Slow disher. Acts like a fast 1k stone. Smooth feeling for a 800 grit stone. Doesn't generate a lot of mud but does produce dark swarf and generates a burr rapidly. Suprisingly hard stone."

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:57 am 

I have used the 800 bamboo, I feel the Ume speckled 1k is far superior and would fit in well to your line-up. My $0.02

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:26 am 

I haven't used either but I feel the need to say that Jason's $0.02 is worth about a buck twenty-five when it comes to sharpening.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:53 am 
Forum Moderator

I think we all agree JASONB, is one of our sharpening gurus, and his opinions should weigh heavily on your decision making process.

The OP has requested discussion, and as this thread has been relatively quiet, I will hijack it a bit. JASONB you have voiced your recommendation for the OP, but my next question might enlighten him a bit more as to why. My interest in the 800 Bamboo was born from my having a 1200 Bamboo <--link. My original consideration was, in fact, the ume, but I was concerned the speckled 1k <--link would be just to close to warrant the purchase, regardless of the drastically different personalities they exhibit. I enjoy sculpting with the mud of the 1200, but sometimes I want just a little bit more cutting power & don't wanna drop all the way to my Latte. In this different scenario, what are your thoughts regarding the 800?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are using and enjoying the 1200, which is a soft stone, the 800 would be an excellent choice to precede it. The 600 Bamboo is even more aggressive and not talked about much and is a very fast cutter.

To the original poster, you did say no restrictions, so I'll make suggestions.

The 140 is solid ... keep it in the lineup. Add the Nubatama combo stone The 150 /1200. The 150 will do the work of the King 220 but much faster. The 1200 is a different formulation - more like the 1500 ume white or Platinum stone than the 1200 bamboo. Alternatively you could go for the 2k Bamboo as an ideal stone before the aoto.

As a finisher, consider the Yaginoshima Asagi or if you want to go a bit finer, consider the Hideriyama Tomae. This will make the 5k SS somewhat redundant, but still useful if you don't want to 'waste' the Hideriyama on some less expensive knives.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 am 

The 1200 is a nice stone but it's not a stone I would consider for use each time. I like it for polishing large blade roads and it's one of the best synthetic Aoto stones I have ever used, thing acts more like a natural stone than some natural stones. (My opinion based soely on wear rate)

The 800 is a big brick and you would expect it to be fast but I actually found it to be slower than the speckled 1k. It was actually at that point I discovered the XXHard Ume speckled 1k, it's closer to that 800 grit mark and has incredible cutting power. Believe it or not but it will keep up with my Shapton pro 320 in many cases for speed of steel removal. I think it would be a better choice as it can easily be used to set bevels but is also fine enough that it does not leave large scratches to deal with that you would encounter with coarser stones.

The XXHard Ume 1k is one of the best 1k stones I have used and I would highly recommend it to everyone that wants a slightly coarser but very strong cutting medium grit stone.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:05 pm 

The 800 Chocera would be a good choice to fill that void.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:15 am 
Forum Moderator

Jason's comments are interesting. We have very different sharpening styles, so we often have very different impressions of the same stones. Jason uses high pressure, whereas I mostly use low pressure, so bear that in mind when thinking of how you would use a stone.

The topic has gotten a bit confusing looking at the original poster's concerns and Melampus' concerns. For Melampus' sequence, I do feel the 800 Nubatama is ideal. He also prefers a softer stone and the XX hard stone is way too hard. For high pressure the XXH works well, however in my hands the medium works better for most knife sharpening tasks and users' needs - certainly so for single bevels for instance. The XXH is even harder than the Shapton Pros or glassstones but does generate mud. The 1200 is soft so if you have a lighter touch and use the mud to advantage it is a very nice stone. FWIW this soft 1200 formulation is popular among knife sharpeners in the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. It has a somewhat similar feel to an aoto, moreso than the green brick or the black synthetic aoto - which are not aoto at all. But the 1200 Bamboo and any of these other synthetic stones do not give an aoto finish and the mud does not continue to refine itself like an actual NATURAL aoto will. The ideal synthetic leadin for an aoto is a 2k stone.

For the original poster, the 800 is too coarse of a choice - Nubatama OR Chocera. The OP is following this stone choice with an aoto. While a 1k or 1.5k stone is a good choice a 2k is an even better choice particularly if you want to optimize the aoto's qualities and resultant finish.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:44 pm 

Giving a blanket statement that I use high pressure with stones is beyond misleading and I think I can speak for myself on the subject. I use pressure as needed and when not needed I use light pressure as one should just like most stone users. Proper use of pressure is a key factor in stone usage as it controls abrasive penetration depth and in the case of waterstones can contribute to mud production or the lack of. Once you learn to control a stone they are capable of so much more than most individuals are aware of.

The XXHard speckled 1k harder than a Shapton or Chosera? That sounds a bit off to me, it's a hard stone but lacks the density.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next