It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chip Repair
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:55 pm 

I'm an EP Pro user and yesterday I worked on a customer's Misono VG10 and it had some decent chips on the edge.
I am wondering what technique you pro types out there use for a repair like this.
I had previously put 17° DPS on this knife with and went to 18° this time so I was cutting a higher angle & thought
I'd clear out the chip pretty quickly using a 150 grit stone. I was wrong.
I've done Shuns before and they weren't a problem but that Misono sure does a better job on their steel :o

Do you in the know just go to a HIGH angle then reset the bevel or just keep grinding away or is there a better way still?

TIA

Douglas

Post subject: Re: Chip Repair
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Depends on how big the chips are. If a couple mm, just continue to grind as is - same angle you intend to finish with. If they are 1/4 inch hlf circles, then it's time to drag the 24 grit stone out or the belt grinder.

For small chips - same angle. Hugh chips, I grind perpendicular to the edge until I hit the bottom of the chips and just completely reestablish the bevel. Otherwise you run the risk of over and undergrinding the edge and just chasing your tail. This is something most learn the hard way - including me.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Show us a picture. Wide shot so we can see the chips in perspective to the rest of the blade.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:18 pm 

ken123 wrote:Depends on how big the chips are. If a couple mm, just continue to grind as is - same angle you intend to finish with. If they are 1/4 inch hlf circles, then it's time to drag the 24 grit stone out or the belt grinder.

For small chips - same angle. Hugh chips, I grind perpendicular to the edge until I hit the bottom of the chips and just completely reestablish the bevel. Otherwise you run the risk of over and undergrinding the edge and just chasing your tail. This is something most learn the hard way - including me.

---
Ken

+1

I use the same methodology but sometime change from a perpendicular grinding to something around 45 dps if grinding into the stone is not a option. Such as with a diamond plate.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:04 pm 

ken123 wrote:For small chips - same angle. Hugh chips, I grind perpendicular to the edge until I hit the bottom of the chips and just completely reestablish the bevel. Otherwise you run the risk of over and undergrinding the edge and just chasing your tail. This is something most learn the hard way - including me.
---
Ken

You learn real quick what and what not to do with such fine edges and hard steel. I've learned the hard way a few times as well. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:03 pm 

No pictures - job is finished.
With no grinder it was just keep on the stones until done.
Next time I'll go high angle then reset the bevel.

Thanks to all

Douglas

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm 

For those big scary chips that you could almost fit a dime in I use a belt sander for the lions share of the work. Once the hole in the edge has disappeared I go to the stones. Otherwise I grind at 45 deg angle on a coarse stone or Atoma plate.
For me, it's always the same knives that are damaged thus way: Shun, MAC and Global. Never Wusthof, Grohmann or Henckels, that's my experience anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:30 pm 

Misono VG-10???

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]