It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Daily use work edge, How far do you take it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:12 am 

I was curious to know how far some of the other professionals take there edges for daily work. I have been going to 6k or better but was wondering if that is really too far. I would thing a 4k edge would be fine and maybe hold up a little better.

Post subject: Re: Daily use work edge, How far do you take it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:26 pm 

I'm not a chef, but I use my knife at work on a daily basis. I want to remove as much of the scratches from honing as possible. The scratches are like micro serrations. They will bend and break causing the blade to have areas that do not perform well. I hone to 8k then strop with compound. My primary knife is a Benchmade with 154CM. I may not have to sharpen it for a month and a half.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

Stephen Corley wrote:I'm not a chef, but I use my knife at work on a daily basis. I want to remove as much of the scratches from honing as possible. The scratches are like micro serrations. They will bend and break causing the blade to have areas that do not perform well. I hone to 8k then strop with compound. My primary knife is a Benchmade with 154CM. I may not have to sharpen it for a month and a half.

This is actually very much not true.

A coarsely ground edge and all it's micro teeth will perform far better than a perfectly smooth edge. All those teeth don't break off they offer irregularities that wear at different rates to keep the edge cutting. Think of it like sharks teeth, they are extremely efficient "cutting tools" because there are many jagged teeth, and when one breaks off a new one takes it's place. It's the basic principle of applying cut pressure from a continuos angle. The more angles of attack the more efficient the cut, just like a recurve or serrated blade.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I sharpen all my hard steel to an 8k kitayama or Yaginoshima Jnat. That said, if I want to keep using a blunted knife w/o just swapping another, I will touch-up on the appropriate stone commensurate with its wear. That might mean I end up using a 5K edge (Rika) or 2k edge (Bamboo2K). If I have to go down to 1200, then I typically continue through a full progression.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:21 pm 

Jason B. I think your reasoning is extremely flawed. Your talking about leaving jagged cuts and sharks replacing teeth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm 

Stephen Corley wrote:Jason B. I think your reasoning is extremely flawed. Your talking about leaving jagged cuts and sharks replacing teeth.

Think as you wish but the reality is a 1k edge will walk circles around a 8k edge all day long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 pm 

Jason is correct, unless we are talking protein work. And even then, I only take my edge super far for the tasks that require only cutting meat. I much prefer a 1-2k edge for breaking down fish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 pm 

I think I follow what you're saying Jason. The serrations cut better by slicing on a single point(cut line) repeatedly at the same angle of approach(uniform and symmetrical teeth?). So I assume that the grit level of finish is the same effect. Now the size and number also play a role. For example:
the difference between
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Or
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where there are many but smaller teeth, or less and larger teeth.
Under similar wear conditions, the larger teeth will still be present after the smaller teeth have disappeared. A coarse edge will have a longer usable life span than a highly refined edge.

The irregular patterns(jnats?) should have a longer comparable edge life. Just as timber saws, chainsaws, and other cutting tools have multiple size teeth in pattern(or random) configurations

\/v\/v\/v\/v

Hope I'm in the ballpark with this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:06 pm 

Hmm. Some of this I find counter to my experience. I find the finest edges (8k+) to be best for vegetable prep and fish and maybe raw poultry. I find for cooked protein and red meat more like 2k to be most effective.

As for how long the edges last, am I wrong in thinking that you may lose your high polished edge and it's crisp benefits quickly but are still left with a usable, sharp edge for a long time? Doesn't the edge degrade down to essentially a lower grit and then last as a lower grit edge would? I'm truly asking and not trying to contradict people with far more experience than I. I'm a home cook and always touch up well before I truly lose my edge so it's hard for me to know.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:39 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:Hmm. Some of this I find counter to my experience. I find the finest edges (8k+) to be best for vegetable prep and fish and maybe raw poultry. I find for cooked protein and red meat more like 2k to be most effective.

As for how long the edges last, am I wrong in thinking that you may lose your high polished edge and it's crisp benefits quickly but are still left with a usable, sharp edge for a long time? Doesn't the edge degrade down to essentially a lower grit and then last as a lower grit edge would? I'm truly asking and not trying to contradict people with far more experience than I. I'm a home cook and always touch up well before I truly lose my edge so it's hard for me to know.

That's task specific cutting that requires a specific edge. When speaking of pure edge retention a specific media such as silica paper or Manila rope is a couple of the very few ways to accurately test edge retention. You need a consistent rate of wear that is REPEATABLE! If you cannot replicate the results then your basis for edge retention is nothing.

Cutting food all day at work means nothing, it's not consistent and half of your edge wear is coming for contact with cutting boards, bone, and other metallic objects.

For your tasks of veggies and raw proteins a very hard low alloy carbon or stainless sharpened to a high polish probably performs best. Try that with CPM-S110V and you will quickly see the opposite end of the spectrum.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next