It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Complete Stone Set Kohetsu AS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 pm 

Hi, my name is Tomás, and I discovered the forum recently. I will buy a Kohetsu AS 240mm very soon, and I want to buy a complete new set of stones. Since it's such a hard steel, I want your help to know the best for the knife, i really dont want to hurt it! I've been looking throught the diferent kinds of stones, and I am not sure if I want a waterstone or a glass stone. I don't mind soaking, but I want the set that will be able to give me the best edge! I will surtenly upgrade and increase the set, but I want to cover the basics now. I know how to shapen a knife, so that wont be a problem. My budget is around 200 dolars.

Thank you guys very much for the help and for the answers!

Post subject: Re: Complete Stone Set Kohetsu AS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 pm 

First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new knife. I love my Kohetsu 240mm.

I cannot offer specific recommendations because I wouldn't recommend my stones :roll:.

However, the Kohetsu, while somewhat hard, is not particularly difficult to sharpen. Pretty much any of the stones listed on the site will produce a satisfactory edge if you do your part.

The Shapton Glass stones are hard, quick working water stones mounted to glass plate, so there is not really a distinction between glass and water stones. Shapton also offers their Pro line which is well reviewed, but there are a dozen different stone combinations that could be cobbled together to get a quality set between various manufacturers and the various product lines each manufacturer offers. Here is a link to the pre-assembled sets (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shstse.html), but to start out with, you will basically want a 1k stone and a 5k or 6k stone and most people will appreciate having a coarse diamond plate for flattening the stones (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/atomaplates.html; http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt.html).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the reply! After some research I narrowed to a complete set, but i would like to know your opinion:
Latte 400
"Green Brick of Joy"
Suehiro Rika 5000
Strop Set with Universal Holder and 142 grit diamond.

The main question is if this is a proper set for a carbon steel like AS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Atoms, that set that you listed will work fine for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, that set will work fine on AS, as well as nearly all other steels.

However, I might recommend something other than the Rika to follow the Green Brick of Love. It is finer, but not by enough for me.

Maybe this one:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takenoko8000.html

Something more in the 6-8k range. The Rika is a fantastic stone, but if you're buying three stone's I would probably jump that one.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 pm 

I will probably not be able to buy the Suehiro Rika this time. Will the green brick of joy leave a good edge or will it be too rough?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the green brick will give you a good working edge. You may like it enough to skip a higher grit stone.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

ATOMS <> The Green Brick leaves a very versatile and workable edge. As far as stones go, it does not offer the best of feedback, but at the price point, the Naniwa Aotoshi <--link has incredible bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:35 am 

Thank you all for the replies, and a special thanks to Mark, you are making something that nobody has done.I ll buy the set for sure! great forum and great replies guys.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:10 am 

If/when you decide to get a higher grit stone the Arashiyama 6k will work better for you than the Rika 5k.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next