It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fine Polishing Stone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:48 am 

Hey guys,
I would like to purchase an 8k stone. My set up is:
•Choseras.
and a 3k SS.
My short list would be the Kitayama 8k, King Gold Stone 8k, Naniwa Jyunpaku.
Besides the price range, what would be recommended for my knives?

Cheers David.

Post subject: Re: Fine Polishing Stone
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:48 pm 

the snow white should fit your progression well, from what ive heard of it. the kitayama is a great polisher but I find it works best even after another stone in the same grit range...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 pm 

cheffiec wrote:the snow white should fit your progression well, from what ive heard of it. the kitayama is a great polisher but I find it works best even after another stone in the same grit range...

Second that. I've got the Kitayama. Great for exposing the kasumi.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> I, with great results on a lot of steels, use a Kitayama <--link following a Suehiro Rika <--link. I have not used the Snow White <--link, but I can attest to the Kita's mud refining down extremely well. Some will even rate it as a 8k-12k due to this trait.

I think it's out-of-stock, but if you ever considered a Jnat - a Yaginoshima <--link is my favorite finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 am 

So, it would be wise to get an 8k or 10k to have a full benefit of the Kitayama?
And is it possible to mix synthetics and naturals?because I'm really considering it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 am 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> You can absolutely mix synthetics & naturals. I use mostly all synthetics with a natural finisher.

As for your Kitayama comment, I don't understand your question. A Kitayama <--link is an 8k stone. Some consider it an 8k to start that refines down to 12k. I think that's a bit drastic of a belief, but it does refine down well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 am 

Oh, that's great news :-)
Well my comment on the Kitayama is, should I use it after an 8k or 10k stone, to have the full polishing benefit of the Kitayama. Or its just the stone it self, that is ranged between 8/12k so I have to work on that?
And for the Yagonishima, I managed to find a small size (195mm), would it be enough for knives ranging between 165mm to 270mm?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 am 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> I finish my progression w/one or the other, Kita/Yagi, depending on the knife &/or task. The Kitayama is an 8k stone... using it after an 8k stone seems redundant at best. I'm NOT discounting FIEC's nor SHERKI's opinions as they are explaining something regarding aesthetic effect. Use the Kita, and work the swarf w/o rinsing it off if you want a more refined polish. The abrasive particulate will refine down further than it's original 8k size. Finish with light pressure, and it produces a shiny mirror. I just did this Togiharu in G2 steel a couple nights ago for a sushi Chef buddy of mine. He has been preparing sushi for 20 years. I had hired him for a couple nights per diem, and I asked him to leave his knives after the first. I noticed they needed a spa night. I reprofiled them while retaining his edge profile, and the next day I waited & watched for their first usage. On the first cut, I heard him whisper to himself in his heavy Chinese accent, "Holy Shit!" Later in the night, when we got busy, he cut himself, and I was smiling w/pride... on the inside. Later, I asked if he was pissed I put an edge on them as the cooks & Chefs here know it's sort of sacrilegious to sharpen someone's knife w/o permission, and he exclaimed, "Hell no! It's just been awhile since I've gone that far with my edges." For all the cooks/Chefs, like I said, I didn't change his edge profiles at all... as badly as I wanted to.

Regarding the small stone... it depends on your skill. There is a smaller margin for error to skew your bevel angle when you're sliding a long edge over a small stone. Can it be done? Yes. Do I do it sometimes? Yes. Is it ideal? No, but if you're playing with high price point Jnats where a chunk costs $500... you might only be able to get 3 square inches. The Kitayama is a great value at $75... I'd get it over a small Yaginoshima.. as much as I love the Yaginoshima.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 am 

I have absolutely no experience at all with natural stones, but really keen to have one. As you said about my personal skills, even if I've been sharpening for 4/5 years. I think I have a decent level but still much too learn on my techniques. So I will take the Kitayama and in the future jump in the naturals.
Thanks a lot Melampus for sharing your experience and tales for helping me out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> CKTG'S JNats are limited. If you are interested in a Yaginoshima, schedule some time for a phone call to the educated & verbose Kenneth Schwartz. You can reach the doctor direct, ksskss@earthlink.net or 209 612 2790; he probably has one.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next