It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which flattening plate?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm 

First of all this is my first post! It's nice to be on the forum, and thank you all in advance for the knowledge I'm sure I will gain from this community.

Anyways, I'm looking for a diamond plate that can be used as a multipurpose tool.

I'm somewhat new to hand sharpening my knives, but I'm definitely getting somewhere.
So far I have a Naniwa Green Brick 2k, and a Sanyo 6k. I only use the 2k on my Wusthof 8" chef (my workhorse), but have used both stones on my 240mm Fujiwara carbon gyuto (my baby). I have only needed to maintain my edges until now and I'm very happy with the way these stones have performed.

That being said, the 2k is starting to dish a little and I need to invest in a flattening plate. It'd be nice to have one plate for both stones but I've heard that a really coarse flattening plate can compromise the surface of a finer stone like my 6k until the stone has been broken down a little bit. Do I need to worry about this? Also, I plan to use the same plate (if possible) as an edge setter on my german knife, and maybe for repairs on my Fujiwara if ever need be. So having a plate that is as flat as possible is ideal.

I'm looking at the DMT and Atoma plates. Somewhere between a 300 and 600 is what I'm guessing would work, but I need some guidance on this. Like I said I'm still learning so if anyone has a better suggestion than these plates I'd love to here it.

Post subject: Re: Which flattening plate?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:34 pm 

Just came across this as well
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/40grdipl.html

I don't want to compromise on quality but sometimes good things come cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10 pm 

Hello and welcome!

DMT plates are a good start. A 400 will be faster than a 600 but 400gr scratches will be tough to work out on the 2k without getting something in between. 600 DMT may be the way to go. There may be a dual 400/1000 DMT (don't have the time to look for a link right now sry) that will have speed of a coarse plate and you'll have the ability to clean up the 400# scratches without purchasing 2 separate stones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

The most important element of a flattening plate is to FLATTEN the stone. Texturizing the surface is a secondary requirement and making the front and back of the stone parallel planes a tertiary requirement.

So you need a flattener. If you are cheap / poor /think you are frugal, get a cheap plate and don't expect it to last. If you want an adequate plate get a DMT. If you want something that lasts a long time and won't stick to your stones when you flatten, get an Atoma.

The 140 Atoma or DMT XXC is critical. If you just get a finer plate, you will spend too much time achieving flatness. You can use these finer plates to texturize the surface but again this is of secondary importance.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you are using plates for sharpening, you can go to finer plates to refine an edge or switch to stones after the XXC or 140 Atomas. For more abrasion resistant steels, diamonds or CBN work best. If you are using a diamond product get only high grade products if you want high grade results.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm 

Drywall sanding mesh works well on softer stones as does a basic leveling stone.

Only the DMT XXC should be used to flatten, other DMT stones will be damaged if used for flattening.

That said and coming from someone that has used DMT plates for years, I highly recommend the atoma 140 or 400, 400 would be more ideal with stones @ 1k and higher.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 pm 

The Atoma 140 is absolutely superb and it is a critical component of my sharpening regime. First introduced to me by Ken a few years ago, I thank him daily (in my mind) for the recommendation. As Jason said, 140 and 400 Atoma would be ideal. They're fantastic for flattening.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm gonna go for the dmt 600. I can deal with how long it will take to flatten for now. Probably gonna look into getting the xxc in a few months time when I have the funds.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 pm 

I started out with a DMT for flattening and it wore very unevenly. I then bought a Atoma man do I wish I had started there and skipped the DMT. The DMT is an adequate plate but just doesn't compare to the Atoma.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:27 am 

request_cancelled wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm gonna go for the dmt 600. I can deal with how long it will take to flatten for now. Probably gonna look into getting the xxc in a few months time when I have the funds.

Do not use the 600 DMT as a lapping plate unless you want to have a diamondless plate.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next