It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fixing a 2mm chip. What stone to use?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

My friend has a Moritaka Honesuke boning knife. I think he got it from Chef Knives To Go. Anyway his wife not knowing better, tried to separate some from frozen pork chops with it. She took a good 2 mm chunk of material from the edge near the handle. I’ve been grinding it down for him with my 220 grit Sun Tiger Stone in stages. It’s going slow, about an hour or two on Saturdays between re-flattening my stone.

I was looking at your huge selection of water stones. What stone do you recommend to fix my friend’s knife? I’m an okay knife sharpener, I’ve just never had to remove this much material. And, I did warn my friend not to let her use the knives unless he was watching.

Thanks

Rob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Fixing a 2mm chip. What stone to use?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I would like to see what you have and the progress you've made. Can you email me a picture and I'll post it on our forum and then we can discuss.

I've never tried the 220 Sun Tiger but we have a bunch of low grit stones that will do the job as well as some diamond plates that are super fast and can double as stone flatteners.
Once I see it I'll let you know what I would recommend if anything.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm 

The 220 sun tiger will be like most other 220 grit waterstones and for the knife you are sharpening should be WAY more than coarse enough to handle he task. Keep the stone flushed push hard and watch the metal fly off. +1 to seeing a picture though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I’m not sure when I can get you a pic because I don’t have the knife. My friend takes the knife home when I’m finished grinding. He also doesn’t want to send it anywhere. I was however thinking of making him buy the stone. I’m sure that I can maintain the shape of the knife especially, if the stone cuts fast. The chip is 1.5 to 2.0mm deep and about an inch (25mm) away from the handle end of the blade. The chip is also about 4mm wide and kind of like two chips that are connected really.

Thanks

Rob

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

I see, ok if you want to have him buy you a stone in exchange for the work get this. We use it a our shop for quick rebevel work and minor chip repair when we get jobs sent to us: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuba150grwa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:10 pm 

Hi Mark, I joined the forum. The 220 seem way too slow on this particular knife. It's supposed to made of aogami super steel. I'm pressing pretty hard and just making mud. I use the same stone on my Deba and it cuts plenty fast through the thick bevel. That's why I was looking the Nubatama Ume 60 grit you have. Anyway, I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I like the 150 bamboo better. The 60 grit is hard to flatten.

Moritakas are not particularly hard to sharpen or repair and this stone should do the job.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:50 pm 

Do you have a diamond plate for flattening? Start with the diamond plate for the repair and then move through your normal progression.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

ROB <> You never mention what you're using to flatten your 220, but as CKTG & JEFFB mention, a diamond plate is sort of a no brainer for aggressive metal removal.

Here's an example of a badly abused Deba that I chose a $100 Atoma 140x diamond plate<--link to remove a massive amount of steel. Here's a $30 Chinese option <--link & $80 XXC DMT option <--link, as well.

> Referencing Thread < <--link

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm 

WOW! Nice job on the deba! Ok that settles it. I need a 140 diamond plate!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next