It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 320 or 220 shapton pro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:27 pm 

I believe I am going with the Shapton pro set 1k, 5k, 8k and wish to add a 4th course grit stone. For Jknives should I add the 320 or 220 Spro to the list or is the 220 to big a spread to go to the 1k??. Also, is the 8K overkill for home kitchen knives if I already have the tools to strop both with and without CBN spray??. With this set will the 8K take away too much tooth for skinned fruits and veggies? Will the 8K be better for slicing protein needs? To date, I have been putting micro bevels on all knives so will the 8K be best for this application or will the 5K be best?? Note, this is for double and single bevel knives. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jamie

Post subject: Re: 320 or 220 shapton pro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jamie, recent Pro 220 feedback: post71882.html#p71882

I'll add, if speed is more important go with the 220. If a smoother feel is more important, at the expense of some pure metal removal speed, go 320.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:53 pm 

The 220 has gained popularity over the 320 in most cases. I would just use caution the first time or two with that stone until you have a feel for it. In general 8k is overkill for a kitchen knife but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. :ugeek: I have one.
As far as protein goes I generally use a 3k edge, but this a subjective and personal preference thing. Try the 5k and see how it feels to you and go from there.
Be prepared for the desire to overwhelm you to buy a 2k or 3k if not both and more to have more versatility over your edges. :mrgreen: I have nine stones that range from 320-8k, plus a couple diamond plates. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 pm 

I am no expert but...

I cannot speak to the 220/320 Pros. I have used the Nubatama Bamboo 220 Black and it is actually a very incremental step from there to an of my three ~1k stones. I have even made the jump directly to a 2k with softer steels. I probably would prefer a bit coarser rather than a bit finer myself.

I usually stop on either a 4k or 6k stone then move to strops. I do have an 8k stone but I do not use it much partly because I do not care for the stone. I also like a little tighter progression in the coarse range to get started. So for me I might skip the 8k and instead pick up a 2k. My rationale is I like a 2x-3x progression, so 1k-2k-4k, or 1k-3k-6k. My most common is a 1k-2k-6k but you get the drift.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:33 pm 

Thank you Steve, CH and Jeff,

I have begun believing the 8K might be too much for most all of my kitchen use but I am not experienced enough to know for sure. I have been testing for several months now the difference between a 4K and 8k finish on the EP Shapton glass stones along with various stropping finishes and have not come to a final conclusion. I keep hoping there is a way to bypass building up time consuming personal experience by using the members of this forum's expertise to guide me. You all have been and continue to be a great help... other than you continue to feed into my addiction for more, great and appropriate tools. Perhaps the 8K is overkill and should be replaced by a lower grit Spro stone. Could this high a grit and or higher polish stropping be actually taking away from my ability to more efficiently cut food product?? At the end of the day does the ability to remove hair off my arm actually translate into the ease by which the tip of a knife goes through an onion or the body of the blade through a ripe tomato? With the Spro it looks like either a straight progression from 220/320 to 1K to 5K or fit in the 2K but not sure why that would be necessary. I read about this stuff voraciously and cannot find a consensus amongst the various and highly experienced participants but I keep hoping. Perhaps that is just the nature of opinions and experience..... Ginger or Mary Ann?... Thank you.

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm probably the wrong one to ask, but here goes. I own ALL the GlassStones and all the Pro stones and all the Choceras and Nubatamas and a frightening amount of naturals, etc ... you get the drift here.

220 vs 320 - get them both :) The decision won't be the same for all knives - or all repairs either. I like more choices.

8k for kitchen knives - of course. I find the discussions silly when people stop at less than 8k but jump to a strop finer than 8k. Either way you are going finer but there is a built in blind spot in the general discussion between the transition. I've used the 8k GS for years. It is a precise stone and makes a fine edge on knives that is certainly pleasurable to use on good kitchen knives, including most Japanese knives. If you are a precise sharpener or aspire to be one, it is worth considering going to 8k - and beyond. So 8k translates to 2 microns for compounds on a strop (they are the same particle size) , so if you are stopping at a 4k stone, a 2 micron or 1.5 micron strop (12k) is a reasonable choice. I routinely strop kitchen knives with 0.75 micron (24k) CBN for touchups and have an excellent toothy edge that slices and push cuts with ease. Except for some European knives, if an edge can take an 8k level finish, even if it takes a microbevel to do it, I vote to go for it.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:01 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:So for me I might skip the 8k and instead pick up a 2k.

This. The jump from 1K to 5K is a bit much IMO. And the 2K Pro is such a nice stone with outstanding feel and feedback. My favorite of all the Shaptons.

Of course you probably want to get the 8K also. Let's not kid ourselves. :lol:

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 am 

If you're going for a lower grit, I'd recommend the Nuba 220 Black.
It's my favorite stone for 3 reasons.
Smooth aggressive cutter but easily controllable.
Feedback is the best I've used - caveat- haven't used the Shapton Pro. The feedback is dramatic and linear.
This stone taught me how to be better.
Finally, like cedarhouse said , with light finishing strokes you can easily go straight to 1K or even 2K.

Douglas

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]