It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Switching from chef's choice to stones--issues?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 pm 

I used to use a chef's choice to sharpen a variety of Henckels/Wustoff/Victornox knives. I've upgraded to Globals and am teaching myself to sharpen those with stones (King's). Chefknivestogo tutorials have been a help, thanks.

My question: Are there any issues I should know about if I wanted to start using stones to sharpen the Henckels? The chef's choice puts an odd edge (multi-angle I think) on the blade. Will that present any problems? e.g, might I need to thin the blade? Other issues?

Thanks for any advice for this newbie.

Post subject: Re: Switching from chef's choice to stones--issues?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:00 pm 

By our standards the Chef's choice machine has probably about destroyed the edge of your knives by unevenly grinding away metal and applying unusual bevel geometries.

I would start by grinding the edge directly into a coarse stone then using the coarse stone to completely set a new bevel. Grind away any of the damaged old bevel and start new.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:51 pm 

^What he said.

You won't believe the difference between a Chefs Choice and stones.
What grit stones do you have now?

With the Henkles and Globals you shouldn't have to go lower than 400-600.

Go slow though and keep a close eye on your progress. A coarse will remove metal quickly
and you'll be looking to reset the bevel. As soon as you see you have an even bevel-not refined just even, you can move up in your grits.

Welcome to the world of truly sharp knives.

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:25 pm 

Hi Joey - Every Henckels and Wusthoff that I see, and that has been sharpened on a Chef's Choice, or equivalent, needs its profile adjusted and has issues at the bolster. In case you don't know, the bolster is that thick steel between the handle and the blade that extends from the blade's spine to its edge. The bolster is supposed to end in line, or slightly above, the blade's edge. If it doesn't, the blade doesn't cut correctly at the heel of the knife.

A professional sharpener will raise the bolster, as needed, when sharpening a knife. The machines only sharpen the blade's edge, and with time, this raises the edge above the bottom of the bolster. As mentioned, this is not what you want for cutting, and it makes freehand sharpening at the heel problematic.

For the beginning sharpener, raising a bolster, correcting the profile (this probably needs to be done also), setting a new bevel, and then sharpening, is a fairly tall order. If your knives need this work, you might consider just sending them to a pro for an initial sharpening. Then, your knives will be in the condition on which you can learn to maintain the their sharpness with stones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:39 pm 

+1 with orenezo

I'm not one but there are a number of Pros on this site who will be better than the majority of locals
that you may have in your area.

If you've been doing some reading here, you already recognize that we're a pretty anal grroup and take great pride in what we do. :mrgreen:

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:45 pm 

Hey there. Moved from a Chefs Choice to stones this summer. My knives back then were Henckels 4 stars.

The short answer is you won't have a problem. The edge you're going to get with stones either freehand or on an EdgePro will be superior.

The multi angle thing the Chefs Choice does is roughly akin to something called a micro bevel. You can do it with stones or an EdgePro at the very end of your sharpening pretty easily.

One thing I learaned the hard way after moving from the Chefs Choice to stones was that all my knives needed to be thinned. Don't know how long you've been sharpening those Henckels on the ChefsChoice but if it's been a while and you've never had them thinned ---- you might not be happy with whatever you end up using to sharpen. I know I wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful. They are consistent with where my thinking was on this. The bolster does need to be raised on two of the chefs’ knives, though not a problem with a flexible boning knife. Given that, and given the feedback I’m getting here, I’m inclined to take them to a professional sharpener who can get both the bolsters and the edges themselves back in shape, which might include thinning.

The other option as I see it is to get a 400-600 range stone and use that to reset the bevel. I currently have a King 1000 and a 6000.

On the other hand, I’m not certain either option is really worth the effort as I’m now mostly using Globals. But, I could use this as an opportunity to further practice my skills on knives I don’t care so much about.

Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 am 

I have yet to see one of the new Global Sai knives. They may be different. However, with the possible exception of the small paring knife, the older Global knives are designed for a convex edge, I believe. To achieve a convex edge, with precision, on stones is a more advanced skill. I would not recommend attempting this when you're first beginning -- although we tend to convex unintentionally, and without control, when we are starting out. (Well... I did.)

I can't say what the effect of putting a flat bevel face on a Global is, I always put a convex edge on them. And while I don't use them, I enjoy sharpening them -- especially the little "vegetable" knife with its (almost) constant-curve edge.

So, my vote is for having your Henckels repaired. With no issues, they should be great to develop sharpening skills on.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]