It is currently Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: unsolicited Richmond strop kit testimonial
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:17 pm 

I got my Richmond strop kit yesterday and used it to finish two knives I sharpened. Holy Crap! It was like magic. There have been many comments in this forum that the strop kit will take your sharpening to a new level, and I was skeptical, but it's the truth. I don't have any hair on my forearm now, I was so amazed at how sharp the knives were that I just kept shaving...

If you are on the fence or have any reservations about this kit, get over it. I sharpened up to a Chosera 3K then stropped and got a noticeably better edge than if I had gone up a stone.

The only observations or cautions I would give a new user are: the syringe for the diamond compound was stuck dry. I needed to squeeze it pretty hard to loosen up, and when it did, about half the product squirted onto the balsa, wasting a bunch of it. I tried to get as much as I could back into the syringe, but I wasn't especially successful at it. I tried scraping and sucking the paste, then pulling the plunger and putting it in the top. Neither was especially successful, so be careful when using the syringe.

I then stropped the knife anyway and got a buildup on the knife which I then wiped off (again due to the unintentional excess). The paste scratches like the dickens. It is essentially liquid sandpaper. I'm not sentimental about the knife, but it is definitely scratch. By the same token, if you strop too flat against the balsa, you will scratch the blade road.

I am a relatively new sharpener, and my skills are not as developed as many on this list, but I can honestly say that the strop kit has given me a significantly sharper knife.

Danny

Post subject: Re: unsolicited Richmond strop kit testimonial
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:46 pm 

I agree with your praise, and I also had a dry, "stuck" compound. Luckily, I waited two days (!) for it to try up a bit and scraped off most of the excess every couple of hours to even out the coat, so I didn't scratch any knives.

Glad to see a review like this. And a word to future owners: beware of dry/stuck compound!! It is a shame to waste!

Now-a-days, I never have any reason to use a hone. I love my strop kit and I use it regularly to restore my edges. Best $60 on my knives and maintenance I ever spent. (Thanks, Mark!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:17 am 

I agree 100%. It is amazing what a good strop set-up can do. Currently my favorite working edge.... Chosera3k or ShaptonPro2k with a strop on balsa loaded with a little compound. You get the toothy bite from the 2k/3k edge with just enough smoothing out on the compound to still get a silky cut. I like it much more than going up to a 5k stone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 am 

I stopped at the Chosera 3K just because I wanted to only use my new stones, but that combination of Chosera 3K + strop kit is a *really* great edge.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:58 am 

shevitz wrote:I stopped at the Chosera 3K just because I wanted to only use my new stones, but that combination of Chosera 3K + strop kit is a *really* great edge.

---------------------

A really great edge for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:31 pm 

-"The only observations or cautions I would give a new user are: the syringe for the diamond compound was stuck dry. I needed to squeeze it pretty hard to loosen up, and when it did, about half the product squirted onto the balsa, wasting a bunch of it. I tried to get as much as I could back into the syringe, but I wasn't especially successful at it. I tried scraping and sucking the paste, then pulling the plunger and putting it in the top. Neither was especially successful, so be careful when using the syringe."-

I basically had the same problem,wasted about a quarter, but it looks like this will last me at least a year. There is definitely and improvement but not a huge leap. At the moment I'm thinking that is due to the fact that my fines stone is 1200 grits, so a huge jump. That or user error.

This is my first post guys, soon I'll be asking loads of questions

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]