It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takeda near mirror polished edge - good or bad?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm 

I have a new Takeda small gyuto. It didn't need sharpening, but I wanted to see what it would be like to sharpen on that unique Takeda bevel so I did a bit of work on it.

I just used a Suehiro Rika 5k, then balsa with 1 micron paste, and a leather strop. I ended up with a near mirror polish on the edghe and, because of the steep angle, there's quite a wide area of sharp and shiny core showing.

It looks great and seems to cut very well, but I'm just wondering if a mirror polish edge is desirable and something to shoot for? I've read comments here about stopping Takeda's at 1k then stropping, and others saying go higher. I've also read that toothy edges are better suited to stainless edges and smooth to carbon.

What's the consensus here?

Post subject: Re: Takeda near mirror polished edge - good or bad?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm 

I think the answer is, it depends! Depends what you're cutting, how you're using the knife etc. I can't say if it's good or bad for you from here :)

If you find it's not ideal for you though, I would just put a tiny microbevel on the edge with a 1-3k, and keep that nice big shiny bevel, I do that with my knives sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

Thanks, but that solution requires more microbevel knowledge and ability than I currently possess.

Does anyone know if one of the sharpening videos addresses microbevels? I have a vague understanding, but I'd rather know more before attempting it on a knife.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm 

Just raise it up a bit and do a few passes on each side.

Here are some videos :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... icrobevels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm 

Sounds to me like you have it dialed in. I would leave it alone and enjoy it. Don't add a microbevel unless you see edge chipping or experience insufferable edge holding. Certainly not OOTB. Take time to learn what the maker put in, plus your moderate polish.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:59 pm 

Oh, and I should have done the Youtube microbevel search myself. :oops:

I just didn't want to end up choosing one from the one-handed-sharpening wizard that someone posted recently. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 pm 

IMHO, I would not leave any coarser an edge on a Takeda than the Rika. When I test drove a Small Gyuto I think I put a Arashiyama 6k edge on it and it was a really nice edge. The Rika is listed as a 5k but I would treat it more like a 3k.

As to debates pertaining to mirror polish, this is largely a debate about toothiness, not aesthetic refinement. Many people like to keep a 2k-5k edge to retain toothiness. The Rika does that. The steel in the Takeda can take a much finer edge. 8k or even higher is well within what the steel can do, its really a question of what level of refinement gives you the performance you want with edge retention you can live with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 pm 

If that Rika is really a 3k masquerading as a 5k, could I use that information to rationally justify buying a Shapton 6k for my final stone in the progression? (I guess irrational justification would work too. As long as it helps me along the path toward sharpening nirvana.)

I don't know why, but I sort of cheaped out on the stones and wish I'd gone full Shapton, but now can't really justify it.

I have the Imanishi 400/1200 combo stone and the Rika.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 pm 

Very good micro-bevel video

The Arashiyama 6k http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takenoko8000.html would be a great finisher in your case if you want something above the Rika.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 pm 

Thanks once again. The MB video and the stone recommendation are helpful.

This place is a great source of information.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next