It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What are your thoughts on the setup I may get.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:31 pm 

Hello I am new to the forum and was wondering what your thoughts and feedback on a sharpening setup I may be getting.
1. Latte 400
2. Shapton Pro 1k
3. Green brick of joy
4. Shapton Pro 5k
Any comments will greatly benefit me and be appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: What are your thoughts on the setup I may get.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Could you tell us why you selected the stones you chose? Also tell us a bit about what you intend to sharpen and what your sharpening experience to date is?

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm 

I have used the 1k and 5k that a co worker has and liked the audible feedback and the visual feedback from the swarf generation. I also got to try out his chosera5k. At first I didn't care for it too much, however after about 10 strops on it with my FKM 240 I began to like her more and more. I haven't gotten to try a latte 400 but they seem to have a lot of positive reviews. Same goes for the green brick. I have worked in professional kitchens for 17 years now and I know the basics of sharpening, mainly German knives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:10 pm 

Forgot to mention I have the FKM240 and I plan on getting a Yuki as soon as the stock is replenished. Also plan on using the latte and 1k to sharpen the beaters at work. I might take the green brick too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm 

A very good set up but no need to go past the Green brick of joy for anything German. The steel is to soft to worry about refining any more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 pm 

I'm not familiar with the Latte, but the SP and GB are somewhat strange bedfellows. The SP are no nonsense, get crap done, at a great price point kit. The GB is something that takes a bit more work to use well, but if you invest some time, it can be a very rewarding stone to use.

The SP, for no BS, great value for the money, are great options. The Latte could be a great add on to the two SP but you could also stay withing the SP line and just pick up a SP 220.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 pm 

Although I have worked in professional kitchens for 17 years I am probably one of the most patient persons that you will ever meet outside of work. I suppose I have that working in my favor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:30 pm 

Although they are quite dissimilar, having a gb and sp might help steer you towards what you do and do not like about stones. For lack of a better term, the sp "is what it is" and is great at what it designed to do. Cut fast with a nice polish with very little dishing. The green brick is capable of incredible things if you can deal with it's nuances. It's very soft, can leave a bright polish or a hazy kasumi, and the fkm I've sharpened really seemed to enjoy that stone. It might be an odd man out, but every group needs a wild card. Plus, a 1-2-5 jump is pretty common.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 pm 

What do you use to flatten stones?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 am 

pjwoolw wrote:What do you use to flatten stones?

+1. If recommend the Atoma 140 if you don't already have something to flatten your stones with. It also works well for a coarse stone when you need to get slot of work done.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next