It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: anyone try making their own diamond spray
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:26 am 

I have an edge pro coming my way this week and I was looking into getting some more diamond pastes for creating mirror edges on the tool. I currently have 100,000, 50,000, and 14,000 grit diamond paste from Techdiamondtools.com. I went back to their website to get some 3 micron paste to bridge the gap between the 1000 grit edge pro stone and the 1 micron paste when I noticed they also sell diamond powder in grits ranging from 20-200,000.

100 carats worth of diamond powder is about 25 dollars on their site, the last diamond spray I saw with 10 carats worth of diamond powder in it runs about 25 dollars, You can also buy 50 carats worth of diamond powder. So if you already have a scale and travel sized spray bottles laying around, making your own spray comes out to tens times less expensive than buying premade spray.

I looked around and couldn't find much on making your own diamond spray, a few people on a gem forum said they use alcohol to make the spray because it evaporates quickly. I don't see why alcohol or distilled water wouldn't work since it just needs to be a carrier for the diamond particles.

anybody have any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: anyone try making their own diamond spray
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 am 

In my experience, sprays are useless. I've never found them to come close to pastes.

I don't usually strop too much anymore, I find using bare horse butt fits my needs fine.

Alcohol would be the way to go, not sure if you'd want ethanol, methanol or isopropanol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:43 am 

I would be most concerned with the quality of the powder and the dispersal. There is always variance in particulate size, but better products usually minimize this. And you certainly wouldn't want the diamond to clump up on certain areas of the strop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 pm 

American Abrasives and US Products are large suppliers of diamond films, CBN formulations, etc. You can buy just about any thing you want from them in even small quantities. Many of the retail products are their materials just rebranded.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:38 am 

Lunatic wrote:In my experience, sprays are useless. I've never found them to come close to pastes.

Not sure how they could be useless. It's an abrasive. It's only different in it's application and (possibly) consistency throughout the varying mediums(paste, spray, powder, etc). I love my poly diamond spritzed on my Asagi as a finisher, even though I don't use it much, when I do, I'm happy I did. As well, having a water base doesn't hurt the stones, clog shit up, smear all over the place, etc.

I like my CrOx paste too. They're all good depending on what one's doing with them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:43 pm 

Lunatic wrote:In my experience, sprays are useless. I've never found them to come close to pastes.

I love the edge I get off my strops with diamond sprays as opposed to bare strops, I can can feel a big improvement. The edge just feels "cleaner".

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]