It is currently Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natural Newbie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 pm 

So I finally got my dream stone from Ken, a Yaginoshima asagi finishing stone and I've had some opportunity to use it but I still have some learning to do.
The first thing I noticed and something that I will not forget is the incredible, intoxicating smell of the stone that rises up and fills your sharpening senses with an amazing zen like sensation that is quite conducive to sharpening.

This Yanagiba was in rough shape, quite dull. I started with a Chosera 400, Chosera 1k and 5k and then onto a Kityama 8k for the final edge and uraoshi sharpening. Then I worked the blade word on the asagi and although I am sure I have a long way to go, the enjoyment I got from this was just so cool.

I know the Yanagiba Gods out there will find fault.......I don't care, nobody will ever take the sensation I experienced today away. :). ......oh and yes it's sharp.

Post subject: Re: Natural Newbie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:00 pm 

Hi Peter,

Wow. I thought it was just me. I'm frequently accused of being smell blind. Found out later in life I have (had) really acute eyesight. Wife used to shake her head at what was going on in my bachelor pad --- 1/4 century ago. Optometrist still shakes his head given what I'm re-creating.

I know it's supposed to extend to sense of taste but that never happened to me.

Anyway, I experienced the very same sensation first time I used my Yaginoshima Asagi. I convinced myself I was kidding myself. Thanks for posting. If you have a long way to go then -- frankly my journey of a thousand steps has me only getting ready to clip my toenails.

If you liked the Yaginoshima Asagi have you tried a Meara? --- most sublime Zen like experience I've had in last 12 months.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:15 am 

No I have not tried a Meara yet, most likely the next natural stone for me though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:27 pm 

Congrats. It only gets better from here 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:57 am 
Forum Moderator

A natural aoto really gives you that 'right after the rain' smell even more strongly. You feel like you are breathing the air trapped thousands - perhaps millions of years ago. Yes that and being surrounded by the aoto mud - hard not to enjoy the experience!

Peter, I'm glad to see you enjoying the stone!

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:53 pm 

I must switch to naturals then! I just hate the chemical smell using my Choseras! Man is this going to cost me ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]