It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tips on getting a sharp tip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:40 pm 

I am completely new to sharpening my own knives. I bought some whetstones from CKTG a couple weeks ago and have been having trouble getting a sharp tip. I have the DMT Extra coarse diamond stone, a shapton 1k glass stone and a Suehiro Rika 5k. I can get a shaving sharp edge on 2/3 of the knife (from heel forward) but I am having trouble getting that same edge on the tip. I wanted to see if there are more experienced sharpeners that could give me some useful tips. I am trying to practice a lot because I realize that will help but if anyone can offer some words of wisdom that would help. Thanks!

Tyler

Post subject: Re: Tips on getting a sharp tip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:23 pm 

I recently had the same issue. The video ken schwartz made helped me out a lot. It made everything people were saying "click". Here is a link to the thread...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=300

Hope this helps...Its a lot of video watching and practicing. Persistence will pay off. Good Luck to you.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 pm 

Thanks, that does help. I think I need to work slower and be more patient while sharpening. I will just take some practice. Did you end up fixing your problem?

Tyler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 pm 

I don't know if I will ever consider it fixed! What is fixed? :D I mean it's a lot better, but you can never be perfect with freehand so theres always room to FIX it some more!!!!!

Slowing down is the key, when I first started getting it down I would spend nearly an hour per knife. Working the stone then checking the angle and over and over. Also I found shorter gyutos help get it down a lot faster. Less blade to mess up on.

Drew Hostetler

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]