It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MC 63 steel blade micro chips
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm 

New kitchen I started sharpening at. The Chef has a Miyabi (Zwilling-Henckels)with MC63 steel. It looked like he minced sand with it. Is he really hard on the knife or is the steel prone to chipping? I got a lot of the chips out and put a micro-bevel on it.

I'm wondering if I should do anything else for it or just tell him he should be more careful with it? Or charge him more...

Post subject: Re: MC 63 steel blade micro chips
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Charge him more - old habits are hard to break. Hopefully the micro-bevel will help a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 pm 

SteveG wrote:Charge him more - old habits are hard to break. Hopefully the micro-bevel will help a bit.

Thanks... This steel is not that fun to sharpen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 pm 

I own 2 Miyabi paring knives, a Kodeba, and a Usaba
The paring knife has seen lots of use, and it is still razor sharp.
MC 63 steel means micro carbide 63 Rockwell.
Henckels uses names like that so if they want to change the actual steel they are using, they don't have to change the MC 63 name.
It is German steel, but the knives are made in Japan, and sharpened to more acute angles than German knives.
Your chef is obviously hard on his knife. Hopefully the micro bevel will help.
I have heard from others that this steel is no fun to sharpen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:42 am 

phillysco wrote:MC 63 steel means micro carbide 63 Rockwell.
Correct, micro carbide = PM steel at 63 hrc

phillysco wrote:It is German steel, but the knives are made in Japan, and sharpened to more acute angles than German knives.
Incorrect, it is not german steel. MC63 = SG2 by Takefu.

Micro chipping is not uncommon with highly hardened PM steels. I would hesitate to say he is hard on his knife without knowing more. I would charge more for sharpening hard PM steels, though ;)
I too have heard that Henkel plays the naming game so they can change steels, but I haven't heard of any changes in steel while retaining the same name. Could be fact or just someone's hypothesis, hard to say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 am 

$2.00 an inch minimum for sharpening on something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:09 am 
Forum Moderator

PANKO <> I agree with MARK, in that MC63 = Takefu's SG2 powder steel, but I disagree with his hesitation in saying the Chef is hard on his knife. The guy bought a Henkels, and from that... yes, I pass judgement. He doesn't know SG2 from Shironiko, and therefore doesn't understand steel. He bought an expensive knife at Williams Sonoma because it was an expensive knife. 99% of the cooks & chefs I've encountered in 24 years of food service are entirely ignorant regarding cutlery... period point blank. Because it's only microchips is most likely because he's the Chef, and has thus developed respectful knife skills. Respectful, as per German steel... even semi-hard JK will chip from treatment that german steel laughs at.

I'd keep my mouth shut regarding educating him as to hard steel eccentricity - unless he asks, I'd employ the microbevel w/an explanation that you compromised ultimate edge potential for durability, and charge accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:26 am 

I knew it was renamed steel with RC of 63, just didn't know which steel.

I couldn't get all the chips out. I got them a lot smaller but it looks decent until you look at it under magnification or a piece of white paper. I see an atoma 140 in my future...

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:30 am 
Forum Moderator

PANKO <> Be very careful with the 140 Atoma on brittle knives. Light pressure or you can cause even more chipping.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 am 

Melampus wrote:PANKO <> Be very careful with the 140 Atoma on brittle knives. Light pressure or you can cause even more chipping.

Thanks for the tip! I figured bang for the buck for be with the Atoma on that low of a grit versus a stone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next