It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: straigh razor honing and Belgian whetstone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 pm 

Hi All,

Im about to buy my first carbon blade and I have experience of honing from my straight razor. Since those have an extremely concave grind I was curious how it compares to honing kitchen knives?

My current setup is a canvas/horse strop with a little grit paste and a belgian whetstone for real work (http://www.ardennes-coticule.be/en/producten )

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this stone, how it might work for knives and what the relative grit is?

Post subject: Re: straigh razor honing and Belgian whetstone
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:49 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure of your experience with a coticule on razors, so excuse me if I get too basic.

So the main difference in technique is that razors have a relatively fixed angle geometry - you lay it down on the stone and that determines the angle you are sharpening / honing at.

With a knife you must maintain an angle by yourself. This typically means you will have a greater variance in angular consistency. This is something new to deal with. Somewhat softer stones tend to work better with knives than straight razors, but this can be overcome with some experience.

Coticules are a bit on the hard side. Unlike Japanese natural stones, you tend to build up a slurry on the stone with a smaller piece of coticule and this is your coarsest grit. From there you dilute it until you get to a plain water slurry, which produces it's finest edge. This is sometimes referred to with the shorthand 'dilicot' technique. It is exactly opposite what you do with a Japanese natural, where the slurry refines with use.

The level of refinement is compared to around an 8k grit. You will hear different opinions on this. The blue side - if it is not slate - is somewhat coarser.

The individual particles from a coticule are 12 sided particles (dodecahedral) that tend to roll easily and don't break down, so that is why you don't try to work the slurry. Because of their shape, they tend to not dig deep into the steel..

The good news for razor honers going to knife sharpening is that you already know how NOT to generate burrs or at least make very small ones, so you will have a tendency to produce hgher performing edges. You probably don't have coarser stones, where a straight razor honer tends to not go below 1k or at most 400 grit, whereas knife repair work benefits greatly from coarser grits, typically in the range of 150 grit.

I'll go over strops in a subsequent post, but suffice it to say that you can get edges significantly more refined and appreciate the difference - even up to 3.2 million grit.

Hope this gets you off to a good start. Welcome to the forum.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:54 am 
Forum Moderator

BTW, while the overall shape of the razor is a concave grind the edge of the edge on both sides is a flat grind.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:14 am 

Thank-you for getting basic, it helps me learn.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]