It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Forever SC-16WB ceramic knife
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 am 

Some time ago while surfing the net i found a website with Catra test results for 3 different ceramic knives: two by the well known Japanese Kyocera brand, and one from another (and unfamiliar to me) Japanese brand with the name Forever Company.
Next to various types of ceramic knives the company also seems to make a host of other specialty kitchen knives from various space-age materials: http://forever-k.com/en/ceramic/
Anyway, the 3 ceramic knives were tested on wear resistance, and the (much) cheaper Forever knife seemingly won by quite a margin regarding that aspect:

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/couteaux-en-ceramique-mpo3v9w

Now i know that wear resistance does not equal edge holding (especially with ceramic knives), but who knows ?
Maybe they're on to something.
Since i sharpen ceramic knives for others from time to time (and the two tested Kyocera models have always ranked the highest for me in the edge holding department so far), i became a bit curious about the Forever knife.
So i ordered the exact SC-16WB model that was tested from a Japan based E-Bay dealer for 45 US dollars including shipping to the Netherlands, and yesterday it arrived:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Specs:

Ceramic knife for right handed use (non-logo side is flat, while the logo side has a wide saber grind and a 70/30 edge
Overall length: 10.9 inch (27,6 cm)
Blade length: 6.3 inch (16,0 cm)
Blade material: High Density Zirconia
Blade thickness: 1,43 mm
Thickness behind the edge: 0,61 mm
Factory edge angle: 26/27 degrees inclusive
Edge finish: rather coarse with lots of bite (my estimate: somewhere around a 1000 grit)
Sharpness: Can shave my arm- and leg hair with the growth, not against it.
Not a single microchip can be felt using my nail, or seen through my Victorinox magnifying glass
Handle material: black plastic
Weight: 83 grams

I'm going to use the knife the coming months for standard kitchen duty, mostly to see how that rather coarse factory edge will hold up.
When the time comes i will experiment a bit with resharpening and write about my findings in this thread.

Last edited by kwakster on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Forever SC-16WB ceramic knife
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:24 am 

Interested to hear back. Do you know how hard the blade material is? My understanding is that ceramic is somewhere in the 80's on the HRC scale.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:47 am 

I don't know how hard the blade actually is, numbers seem to go all over the place.

I've already started using the knife, and here are some first findings:

Cutting a large Ciabatta bread with a semi-hard crust into 4 sections on a good wooden cutting board provided the edge with 1 tiny microchip just in front of the heel.
That chip is only visible through my Victorinox magnifying glass (not with my naked eye), and the rest of the edge still looks and feels unharmed in any way.
I've already made a few cheap ceramic knives lose their entire sharp edge by doing this test, and i wanted to see how this rather coarse edge would do right from the start.

After this i proceeded with cutting a whole box of cherry tomatoes.
Even with it's light weight of only 83 grams i could pinch the end of the handle between thumb and forefinger, put the tip of the knife on the cherry tomato, and slice it completely through on the wooden cutting board just before i ran out of edge length.
The last tomato was cut as easily as the first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 pm 

hey Kwakster,

thanks for the write up. i will probably get a ceramic knife at some point, just to have one and also to practice sharpening one.

thanks again

pat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I believe ceramics knives are somewhere in the mid to upper 70's as far as hardness goes.

Thanks for the writeup, interested to see how these hold up! I normally don't recommend ceramic knives to people, but for those who want one it would be good to find a nice value alternative to some of the more expensive brands..... and I'm not talking about Yoshi blade. LOL. (p.s. I bought a Yoshi blade years ago, it ended up being a toy to take out and cut into wine bottles once in a while for entertainment.) :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 am 
Forum Moderator

KWAK <> When I first sharpened my Kyotop, I remember my surprise as to how metallic the edge looked after a 4-stone progression. I'm extremely curious as to if the white ceramic presents the same phenomenon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:14 am 

On another forum i got this question:

"Looks like a nice knife. But would you expect the knife to become dull after cutting up a ciabatta and a box of cherry tomatoes?
I have no experience with ceramic knives, so I am sorry if this sounds ignorant, but it would seem most or all kitchen knives with a decent edge would survive the ordeal?"

This was my answer:

"Crusted bread is known to be able to chip hard & thin knife edges made from quality knife steels quite easily, and for much harder but toughness lacking thin ceramic knife edges it is even more difficult.
The fact that this Forever ceramic knife suffered just one extremely minor chip and was able to slice those cherry tomatoes the way it did tells me quite a lot already."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:42 am 
Forum Moderator

:?: The point of this re-post eludes me. He's admittedly ignorant, and we knew he was clueless irrespective of his admission.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am 

For people who like to read more about ceramic knives: http://www.myceramicknives.com/
(imo there are bits & pieces of info not entirely correct, but overall the site makes nice reading material about the subject)

On that same site there are also tests on cutting various foods and how it affects them: http://www.myceramicknives.com/my-30-day-test

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:58 am 

The last few days i used the ceramic knife in our kitchen for cutting various types of food: a lot of onions, tomatoes, smoked ham, Dutch cheese, mozarella cheese, mushrooms, paprika's, all for use in pasta salads which we eat a lot during summer.

I noticed a few things:

- Cutting up 5 to 6 large onions with the ceramic knife didn't induce teary eyes like it would have done had i used a steel knife.
Instead i could only feel a very slight stinginess.
- Slices of mozarella cheese stick noticeably less to the ceramic knife than they do to a steel knife, and also leave much less cheese residue there.

Both with the naked eye and using my Victorinox magnifying glass i could not see any change to the factory edge afterwards, and the knife can still shave the hair from my calf.

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next