It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Choceras Cracking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm 

A quote from a post by Jon Broida of JCK.

"Magnesia based stones, like the chocera, will crack when over-soaked due to magnesia (the binding agent) leaching out in the water. After a while, the stone looses structural stability."

With more people talking about soaking their Choceras and more people complaing about them cracking, it only makes sense. Choceras were meant to be splash-n-go stones.

Post subject: Re: Choceras Cracking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 am 

Yep, when you soak stones not meant to be soaked bad things happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am 

Thanks Jeff, yup, the only stone I have in soak now is my Arishyama 6k and that's because Jason ordered me to soak it:)

None of my Choseras have cracked, I just make sure they are well dried off after use. I have heard of them breaking in half though from perma soaking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:53 pm 

I have a snow white I have used for a few years now that is showing a weird scaled effect. The unused side is fine, the used side looks like snake scales. It still seems to work fine but I wonder if I have comprimised it in some way. I never soaked it more then an hour before use, and air dry my stones after using/ cleaning, and preparing for short term storage.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]