It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: too sharp?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm 

I will soon be in the market for some new stones and was looking for input on the cutoff line for how high of a grit to stop at to maintain a functional, toothy edge. Im aware steel type makes a difference, so I have wusthofs and a 52100 sab artifex. My plan so far is shapton 1k/6k and a strop. Will I lose or gain performance if I do a 1k4k8k or is this something that only starts to happen at 16k, 32k? Im just curious to the cutoff.

Post subject: Re: too sharp?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm 

The Wusthof will not benefit much past the ~2k range. The Artifex can go quite a bit higher, but most people stop in the 4-6k range.

Personally I like to have a bit tighter progression than 1k to 6k. So you might consider 1k, 4k, strops, or 1k, 2k, 6k, strops. Or something like that. The advantage of the 1k, 2k, 6k progression is with western steels, you can just stop on the 2k.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 pm 

You got the right idea. Stopping at 6k will be just fine. You might to consider a 500,1k and a Japanese Natural Aoto not synthetic. That might give what you need.

Nothing wrong with a toothy edge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 pm 

Yep Cedar and Umberto nailed it
You are wasting your time with any German steel sharpening past 2K, Wusthof is usually 56-58 Rockwell
Most of the Japanese knives Mark sells are 60 Rockwell and more.
There is a HUGE difference between 58 Rockwell and 60, the hardness increases exponentially.
I just got a Green Brick, it's a great stone for German or American steel.
Your Artifex, with AEB-L steel,
now you can go to a 400-600 grit stone for edge creation.
Then...
I go 1K, 2K, 5K, then strop on a 8K, then finish with more stropping on balsa with compound, and leather with compound
A final strop on bare leather.
I could not do this a year ago. I have learned a lot in this forum. That and some practice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:24 pm 

The hardness increases exponentially.

No it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:59 am 

I like 8k.. (on my stone)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 am 

Jason B. wrote:

No it doesn't.

The Rockwell scales are quasi-logarithmic, which means a given interval is more significant the higher you go on the scale. The scales themselves are arbitrary so it would be pointless to argue exactly how the intervals change.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm 

Dakki wrote:
Jason B. wrote:

No it doesn't.

The Rockwell scales are quasi-logarithmic, which means a given interval is more significant the higher you go on the scale. The scales themselves are arbitrary so it would be pointless to argue exactly how the intervals change.

Rockwell hardness is measured of indentation hardness, measured from the preload to the large load. The distance between the two load points are then equated into a number. The measurement is 0.002in per point of hardness.

I've use hardness testers and it was my thought too that they were on a exponential scale until the operator that had been using the machine longer than I have been alive told me otherwise. It's a measure of how deep the indented goes and is on a linear scale.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:09 pm 

If the depth vs rockwell number is a linear relationship, then rockwell number vs the hardness is not. The first .001" is easier than the 2nd .001", and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:09 pm 

Jason B. wrote:

Rockwell hardness is measured of indentation hardness, measured from the preload to the large load. The distance between the two load points are then equated into a number. The measurement is 0.002in per point of hardness.

I've use hardness testers and it was my thought too that they were on a exponential scale until the operator that had been using the machine longer than I have been alive told me otherwise. It's a measure of how deep the indented goes and is on a linear scale.

What needs to be understood here is that you're measuring one dimension of a three-dimensional indentation. You're displacing a lot more material going from 20 to 21 HRC than from 65 to 66, and because the scale goes up as the amount of material displaced goes down, that means the difference in hardness also goes up as you go up the scale.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next