It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton HC series.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am a big fan, and a frequent visitor, though unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to buy knives from your site yet.Regarding the subject of sharpening stones, specifically the Shapton Glass Stones, Shapton actually offer two different series, the standard HR series (also featured in your site), as well as an HC series, which is specifically for high carbon steels.
I use the stones from this series for an old filleting knife that I inherited (quite interesting history behind it actually, it is made from a reforged bayonet my grandfather got from a high ranking officer who was stationed in Andaman Nicobar Islands during WW2 ).Back to the point, it is made from high carbon steel with a soft core (Kobuse style) and using the HC series stones gives me a much more aggressive edge with the same level of polish and finish as a stone at least two grades finer in the HR series.
As these stones give me a edge I have not yet obtained from any other wetstones, natural or otherwise, I would recommend trying them out and perhaps suggesting them along with high carbon steel knives on your site if it does indeed work as well in your tests as it does for me. Stay Sharp!!

Regards
Tushar

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton HC series.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:07 am 
Site Admin

We used to sell these but nobody ever bought them and they confused customers so I dumped them a couple years ago.

I'm open to bringing them in again if people think they're worthwhile. Personally I didn't find much of a difference between them and the regular series.

What do you guys think?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 am 

Only the 4k, 6k and 8k of the HC version are available in the states. I can't see them being big sellers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

I'm inclined to get them. If you haven't noticed I'm inclined to get damn near everything I can get my hands on....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:I'm inclined to get them. If you haven't noticed I'm inclined to get damn near everything I can get my hands on....

A more truthful statement perhaps cannot be found.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 am 

I'm inclined to get them. If you haven't noticed I'm inclined to get damn near everything I can get my hands on....
Now there is an ulta truism

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]