It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natrual stone Questions?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 pm 

So I want to see if anybody can tell me if this is a good progression for natrual stones?

First
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/amnast.html
Second
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/binsui.html
Last
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hinako.html

There is not much info on the Binsui As in possiable grit finish how long for soaking?
Also the Amakusa dosen't say about how much soaking is needed?

Post subject: Re: Natrual stone Questions?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kirky - I ventured into Natural stones with those 1st two you mentioned, because they were inexpensive. I haven't used them too much, because I didn't get the results I was expecting. The Binsui, for me grinds slower than a turtle in a freezer, even with generating some mud with a diamond plate before sharpening.

Maybe I don't know what I'm doing with Naturals, but I'm not of fan of either stone compared to the synthetics I've got.

These stones and my Ozuku Asagi Koppa don't really need any soaking, pretty much splash and go - I've found these particular stones need much less water than the synthetic stones.

I'd get some further opinions and I'd also talk to Ken Schwartz before you buy anything. I know Mark is OOS on most of his Naturals inventory.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

I usually stay with synthetics up to my Rika 5K normally, then switch to J Nats from there. Or I use my Aoto and Hakka's after the 1K synthetic stone if I want a toothy edge (fillet knives, butchering knives, etc). The Jyunsyouhonyama would probably be a good finish stone for edges, refined, but with a little tooth left. I haven't tried that stone, so I don't know how it will work on Kasumi finishes. I would look for something like an Aoto or a mid level stone, like a Meara, Takashima, Yaginoshima Asagi, Shobu, Hakka, etc. 4-6K is a great range for kitchen knives in a J Nat; still has some tooth, but gives a refined edge that cuts aggressively. Also great as a touch up stone. Skip the J Nats under an Aoto level; they are very slow and you can get the benefits of the J Nat toothy/refined edge with the higher stones only. I have Kyusha Ohmura, Amakusa and never use them at all anymore. Synthetics are faster, cleaner, more efficient.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:02 pm 

The binsui plays suprisingly well with stainless knives fwiw.

Doing a full progression of Jnats is fun. Although it is more time consuming than doing a snythetic progression.

Id go

Synthetics to 1k - Amakusa - Khozuke - Aono Aoto
See how you like that. If your happy you.can stop there , or further refine by going to a Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi combo.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]