It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: White Steel ?s
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 pm 

I work in a catered restaruant, using my knive (white steel gyuto) most often. Our house tri-stone is probably older then me and is just cake with veg oil and dished beyond repair. I spend hours daily withy knive using it mostly for produce. My question is what stones would you guys recommend, how far should I take my edge, and should I be stropping it of I'm using as much as I am?

Post subject: Re: White Steel ?s
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

DANTE <>

Rough stone...<--link

Utility stone...<--link

Finishing stone...<--link

Stropping set w/lapping plate included...<--link. You would then need an abrasive compound of your choice such as this suggestion.<--link

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 am 

All good selections mentioned above.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:57 am 

If this knife see heavy use is there really a reason to strop it? will it help with edge retention? or will the wear on the knife be too fast to really keep up with stroping

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:02 am 

A splash-n-go set but slightly more expensive --> http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shaptonpro1.html

With the stropping set with plate that Melampus suggested --> http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html

Stropping will bring back the edge quickly during heavy use to help you get through it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:22 am 

Once a strop is loaded with whatever compound, how often do you need to reapply? On use or just when wear etc?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:29 am 
Forum Moderator

DANTE <> To go a bit further then JEFF summarizes, think of a strop as a high grit stone because that is effectively what it is. The 1.5µ abrasive I linked to is basically a 10,000 grit stone, and the naked leather refines further with a crisp polish.

Utilizing a strop is analogous to Westerners using a honing steel. In the context of hard steel like Japanese knives use, their steels are harder than these rods so they are not effected by them, and in examples such as ceramic or borosilicate of which are hard enough to effect them, typically they offer no higher than a 1200 grit finish which can eliminate a 5k polish in two passes. The margin for error to not degrade an edge is much smaller with rods as the potential to roll an edge or to hone at inconsistent angles amid the pass is exponentially higher than with a bench strop. Using a strop will refresh the edge of the edge very quickly & efficiently as they are used dry with little setup required & effectively no break down or clean up.

In reply to your question, application of more abrasive to the substrate will vary, but one application per 10 stroppings might even be overkill... reapply when it loses efficacy. Utilizing a strop will noticeably extend the amount of time between sharpening, as well.

Another method to refresh your edge w/o a full sharpening is to strop on the 5k stone I referred. This is very effective, but requires soaking a stone which can be a hassle to schedule appropriately. I suggested the strop set because of this benefit, and for the fact it includes a lapping plate, as well. I really hooked you up for the long haul.

Yet another method is to strop on newsprint. You can wet, not necessarily soak, your stone, and fold some newspaper around it. Believe it or not... it works. This would be a budget minded option.

As for JEFF's suggestion, I think he meant this set.<--link

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:34 am 

a 400/500, a 1k and a 4k/5k will do you wonders! The stones I like have already been mentioned by the people above so I won't link them ;)

Stropping or rodding is your call. I know a lot of people that like a rod over strops while working. All depends on how you like you edge and how polished you like it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:58 am 

Quick question, not trying to hijack the thread. I use my 5k for stropping but for convenience would horse butt be something to start with? I only sharpen my knives to a 5k polish. I already have a stone holder and the cheap flattening plate for a base

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 pm 

That was were I was headed Mel, thanks for catching that.
And if the funds are available you can add the coarse stone to that set too. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro3pcset.html
Lots of very good directions you can go!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]