It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: CBN can abrade ceramic *micrographs inside*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:30 am 

So earlier this evening I received a Skype from Ken asking if I had ever concluded that CBN could in fact abrade ceramic knives. This was a project I started awhile ago but lost some wind when I realized that the knife I was working on was heavily chipped out from the atomas , making further work a moot point. I had been planning on revisting this topic earlier but I just have not had the time. Now I have a wider (mostly coarser) range of diamond films , and CBN.

Back to this evening. Ken inquired regarding the issue so I told him to give me 5 minutes and grabbed the scope. Here is the factory , used and abused edge on a Stone River ceramic knife, I managed to find a spot big enough without chips to take a picture.

So I grabbed a fresh roo strop , loaded her with some 45u CBN and made a few strokes.
Looks pretty conclusive to me , those are indeed scratches from the CBN , theres actually two visible sets of scratches , one near the edge of the edge and one occupying 95% of the bevel , initially I was too steep so I used lighting to check my contact area and made the necessary adjustments.

So with that in mind here what it looks like after 5 minutes of stropping. Ignoring the fugly edge of the edge for now (I will need to go -much- coarser in order to fix all the damage this thing has) we can see that I relatively quickly removed all the factory scratches , and cutting performance , wow , it can actually cut paper now , something the knife could not do 5 minutes ago.

Post subject: Re: CBN can abrade ceramic *micrographs inside*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 am 

Sadden, Thanks for your work. I have a question for you in regards to this thread. I have a small Boker ceramic with a small chip. Would high grit diamond or CBN be better to fix it in your opinion? I have been putting of tying to fix it due to being new in this art. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 pm 

Are you using the Veho?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:39 pm 

I really love seeing these high magnification photos. Thanks for sharing for those of us who are microscopically challenged.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm 

rutcrazed wrote:Sadden, Thanks for your work. I have a question for you in regards to this thread. I have a small Boker ceramic with a small chip. Would high grit diamond or CBN be better to fix it in your opinion? I have been putting of tying to fix it due to being new in this art. Thanks

Diamond if its an option.

cedarhouse wrote:Are you using the Veho?

Yes , the 400x one.

DarkStar wrote:I really love seeing these high magnification photos. Thanks for sharing for those of us who are microscopically challenged.

Glad everyone is enjoying some of the work I have been doing

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]