It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Help me choose a 3pc stone set.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

First off, it's been a pleasure ordering from you. You have a great selection of items from about every manufacturer that matters. I've price shopped you and about 90 to 95 percent of the time you're the lowest. Even when you're not it's only by a dollar or two - which when you add in your exceptional service, just isn't worth going elsewhere for. And your free shipping, wow , I've never had a company ship an order as quickly as you do. Because you send items out immediately it's like getting expedited shipping for free. I'll definitely be ordering more items from you and will share my experiences with others I find interested in your products.

So at this point I'm hoping to get your advice.

I'm about to order some stones and I'm going back and forth on which ones to get. I've read all of the reviews and spent quite a bit of time in the forum narrowing it down. I'm probably overthinking this but I do that sometimes. Since I'll be using these for my home knives they will probably last quite a while, so I want to get some that I'll really like.

I'm not a professional chef and the knives I have are used only for home use.
I've never sharpened my own knives but from watching the great videos on your site I'm sure I can get it done.
I currently have some Tojiro DP and Fujiwara FKM knives that I got from you, as well as some Wusthof classic knives that I got before finding your site.
In addition I have some old Chicago Cutlery Walnut Handle knives that I've had forever.
I plan on using these to learn how to sharpen, as well as other situations where I don't want to put the better knives at risk.

I know that you have the starter set on your site, and that it's quite popular, but I'm looking for something that might be a step up from that. I know that I'll need a stone holder and resurfacing plate but I'd rather get better stones now and grab that a little later on.

So here are the stones I've been thinking about:

Latte 400
Green Brick 2K
Snow White

or

Latte 400
Nubatama Ume 1K Medium Speckled
Suehiro Rika (or something else you may like better)

I addition, I'm interested in your suggestions as you've used many stones and I'm just reading reviews.
Especially what you may like better of as well as the Rika. I'm not absolutely set on these stones, I've just noticed the favorable reviews and they've stood out during my research. I know that you try a lot of stones to better understand them and provide better feedback to your customers.
Value is important as well as quality so I'm also open to purchasing slightly used stone(s) if you have something that you think I'd like and want to get rid of.

Please share your thoughts when you have a moment.

Thank you,
David

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 3pc stone set.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,

They're pretty even. I would go with your first choice. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:15 pm 

Check out this thread (maybe you have already) [url]http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/stone-recommendation-t3336.html[/urll]

The 400 to 2K is a big jump and the 8K stone is overkill, therefore I prefer your second selection 400, 1K, 5K; especially because that 1k ume is beyond incredible! You should get the flattener when you order your stones because while you are practicing you will need to flatten your stones.

It would be better to wait on the 400 stone and get the flattener/holder first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Latte 400, Nubatama 1K Ume Medium, Rika 5K, strop set with universal holder (stone holder, diamond flattening plate, felt pad for deburring and leather strop) is a great combo. If you want to higher grits, I would look at a J Nat like a Shobu or the Yashinogima asagi; it refines the edge, but leaves some tooth for great cutting ability.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

What Taz sugests will definitely leave killer edge but.......

hahahaha... dont you love the buts.....

The Rika 5k tends to leave a 3K edge unless you work up mud and work the mud long enough to break it down, then it leaves a 5k edge. Its not the speediest process.

The knives in question can take a true 6K edge so.....

How about replacing the Rika with a 5K or 6K stone? This way, one could put a 1K edge on the knife and have the option of refining it all the way from 1K to 6K or stopping anywhere in-between.

Isnt that the great thing about asking for stone advice on this forum... you end up with 20 different options :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

....but, I think you should..... LMBO

Only kidding, but I think you get the idea....lots of great stones out there.

I use and love the 500 Beston, Ume 1k, and Rika combo....but all of the above recommendations are great too.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

The bester 500 cuts very quickly, but I don't like the feel of it, feels very scratchy/coarse. The Latte 400 is a little slower and softer, but cuts a bit smoother and it works great for a kasumi finish starter, too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about that stone!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm 

Everyone,
Thanks so much to everyone for all of the information. I was quite surprised at, and grateful for, all of the quick responses. I'm watching this thread closely and will make my decision soon. Right now I'm leaning toward the Latte 400, Ume 1K Medium and Suehiro Rika set. I'll prob go ahead and order the holder, plate and strop set as well. I hadn't thought much about stropping so thanks for that information taz575. I guess I have some more videos to watch. Please continue to add your suggestions and recommendations as I hope to place an order sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:37 pm 

I keep hearing that a 400 to 2k green brick is a big jump and I couldn't disagree more. I do it everyday and it works perfectly.

The green brick is a amazingly fast cutting stone that can also polish into the 4k level. The latte 400 and the Naniwa green brick would be a great combo. I will often use the Naniwa 150 Omura in combo with the green brick and it removes those MUCH deeper scratches. If that's not a proof of its ability to remove coarse scratches I don't know what is...

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next