It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: sharpening query
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm 

I'm kinda new to sharpening - been practicing for few months.
i can get pretty good edges from my knives, however i have to strop (on newspaper) to get a really good edge/be able to cut newspaper cleanly - is this normal or am i doing something wrong on my whetstones?

Post subject: Re: sharpening query
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 pm 

Might want to post more info. What stones are you using? Are you removing burr before moving to next stone, etc. I am new too, but you didn't give much info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:37 pm 

using 1k, 2k, 5k the stropping on newspaper... after sharpening on each stone i can't cut paper cleanly until i strop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 pm 

Hello Chopper,
Don't despair, if you are getting good edges after a few months you are on the right track friend.

You should be able (in time) to cut newspaper very cleanly off of the 1k edge without stropping , so if you are able to do this after stopping on the newspaper now you are close. Now that you have the hang of it it's time take a step back a little, be patient and work on the 1k stone until you've achieved the same edge you are getting now off of the newspaper. This doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong now, it just means you can improve. Make the knife sharper than it has ever been on your first stone. Ensure you are actually raising a burr on both sides of the entire blade length and this could take some time on your 1K depending on the condition of your edges. Watch your pressure, paint the edge of the edge with a sharpie and make sure that you are actually removing that mark. Don't hesitate to repeat the process with the Sharpie.

FYI you can get a knife to easily slice newspaper from a 150 grit stone so I think you just have to step back and pat yourself on the back for being able to slice newspaper at all.

Gees after 3 months I was still practising on wooden knives so don't worry about it, focus on the basics...burr formation/burr removal/consistency/patience/ fun.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm 

Peter

Thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 pm 

In addition only: don't go to the next stone before the burr can't be reduced anyfurther on the previous one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 pm 

Benuser

I'm not sure what you mean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm 

Once a bevel set, further sharpening is basically burr reduction. OK, some edge refinement and polishing as well...
About that burr reduction: When the burr just flips over, with the lightest stroke you can perform, without getting reduced any further, it's time to use a finer stone. So, stay with your 1k until you don't get any further improvement. If you don't feel it, yet, you may test by cutting the finest cigarette paper. Is it a smooth cut, what about the sound? All indications about a remaining burr which has to get weakened and reduced by abrasion, and finally, eliminated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Peter is right chopper, you are one the right track if you are getting a sharp edge that can cut paper after stropping at the end. A little more practice and you'll be able to do this after each stone. All I'll recommend is checking your work very frequently and you'll start to understand the process better with practice and patience. VERY light strokes at the end of each stone helps to abrade any burr formation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:08 pm 

thanks all for the advice

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next