It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My name is mudd
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm 

I have a Beter 500, bester 1.2k and rika 5k. What is the benefit of the mud that forms? Does this help the speed? Should I always try to keep some mud on there?

Post subject: Re: My name is mudd
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 pm 

yes sir the mud is stone particulate and will aid the speed of abraision. if your sharpening any single bevels the mud will help to build the even finish on the large bevel. for some people they like to rid the mud on double bevel sharpening so it doesn't ride up past the bevel and scratch the sides of the knife, for me the more the merrier but to each his own

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:05 am 

Interesting question.

On a synthetic stone mud can be used to accomplish certain goals. As already mentioned onba softer muddier stone it helps fill in the spaces.

However in terms of refinement , having a mud or slurry on the stone will increase a stones cutting power and aggressiveness , at the cost of refinement. As the stray particles roll around on top of the stone they dig deeper than the particles still stuck in the surrounding matrix of the stone.

It s a finite difference however finishing stones should be used clean with lots of water.

Mud also helps keep stone loading/clogging down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:13 am 

Mud is a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 pm 

Do Nagura stones really help to produce mud on the higher grit stones? I have 5k Rika and a 10k polishing stone should I use the Nagura before I use these stones to create a slury?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:36 pm 

Similar question as above, I have the cheap flattening plate mark sells on his site and I typically run my 500 and 1.2k when getting started to generate a little mud. Does this sound about right? Should I do the same thing with my rika?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm 

if you have a nagura, and you like it muddy than deffinatly use it. personally I luv the little dmt slurry stones mark sells, especially on the synthetics on naturals the best thing is to have a nagura of the same stone (don't remember the name here - ken help) ive also used the dmt on the jnats with success as well but im sure the traditionalists all roll over in grave if the new..
only prob w using a 140 plate on the finishers especially soft ones is it leaves some deep scratchs I didn't like, the get worked out, and some would say the even speed the rate of abraision, I like the little slurry stones cuz they work quick and don't gouge even the softest of stones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've always found the Nagura I've bought to be coarser than the finishing stone's I wanted to use them on. I threw them all out. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm 

...Annndd now I have Primus in my head all day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 pm 

I have and use Tomo Naguras on all my Jnats.

I keep meaning to experiment with Nagura stones and synthetics but its on the to do list somewhere....

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next