It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Japanese Natural stones are addictive!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here are mine starting at Aoto and going up to Ozuka Asagi. Pic is a bit dark and doesn't include the coarser J nats below the Aoto level.

Top row, left to right, Aoto 1-3K, San Aoto 3-5K, Level 2 Hakka, Level 3 Hakka, Yaginoshima Asagi, San Shobu and then the Ozuka Asagi. Bottom row, the two on the far left are both Takashima's, then the finer/harder of the two Narutaki, followed by the softer Narutaki, Hideriyama and the Meara.

They all get used at one time or another!

Post subject: Re: Japanese Natural stones are addictive!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

You are knee deep in dark poop buddy!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

And that's only my Japanese naturals! I have a Chinese Natural, 3 different Diamond stones and a whole slew of synthetics!!

Better shot of the Aoto's, left is the 1-3K, right is the 3-5K, much harder and finer than the softer Aoto. The level 2 Hakka is the one with the rings in it and the larger one to the right is a bit harder and finer grit, Hakka Renge Suita and has a purplish coloring to it:

2 hakka's on the left, Yaginoshima Asagi in the middle with the light and dark, San shobu the long skinny one, feels very close to the Yaginoshima Asagi, leaves a very fine, wickedly sharp edge with some tooth to it. The one on the far right is the level 3 narutaki, "Nakayama Narutaki honyama shouhonzan aka" is the full name. Narutaki is easier to remember :)

Back to the first pic; the smaller one on the bottom row to the left of the big Meara in the first pic is a "hideriyama ocher suita" level 3. The longer, harder Narutaki on the wooden base in the first pic is a "Nakayama Narutaki honyama shouhonzan suita" and level 4 for hardness. The Ozuka Asagi (far right stone in first pic) is my hardest and finest J Nat at around a level 5 (+). It gives a very refined edge with a bit of tooth to it, but I prefer a toothier edge for most tasks. The larger Takashima in the first pic is a level 4 Takashima Suita, not sure about the smaller koppa Takashima.

As you can see, I like stuff in the level 3-4 range normally, they are soft enough to work well with kasumi finishes w/o being scratchy and they leave a very refine tooth on the edge that seems to last quite a long time!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm 

How do you like the "Meara" I think I might try one as my finishing stone. I do not mind a little bit since I'm a lethargic push cutter most the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 am 

Wow, very cool pictures thanks. I am just about to start the natural stone journey, I don't have any yet and can't wait to see what they feel like.
I'm glad you posted this pictures Taz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 am 

Very nice collection.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:30 am 

taz wondering where u got the aoto's have been looking for a while for a mid range j-nat to fill that gap in my collection

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 am 

I'm still waiting to see a post on ebay for a stone collection.

J-nats are way too expensive for my needs so far. You are a lucky man taz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:10 am 

I source all my Jnats from Ken Schwartz. Ken123 here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 am 
Forum Moderator

I got the 1-3K Aoto from http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/, along with the Level 3 Hakka, the bigger Takashima, the two Narutaki and the Hideriyama. The two Narutaki and Hideriyama I bought from Vinh second hand. The Level 2 Hakka (smaller one with the rings) I also got from Vinh, came from Japanesenaturalstones.com originally. The Ozuka Asagi koppa, takashima koppa, Shobu San all came from CKTG. Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi came from Ken Schwartz. The narrow san aoto came from a member of another forum a while back.

The Meara is similar in feel to my hard San Aoto, more like the 4-6K finish with a bit more refinement than the Aoto's, but leaves a good toothy edge. BIG stone as you can see in the pics! Very very hard stone, may not be the best for kasumi finishes; I prefer softer stones for that since they make mud easier and help blend in the highs/lows on the blade road if there are any. I am still struggling with kasumi finishes currently, I tend to get all the way up to the Takashima and then see coarser scratches from lower grits still left in the cladding.

Japanese Naturals do not have to be expensive. Only two of these were $120 each; everything else was well below that, ave of $70 IIRC, so not much more expensive than most 4-6K synthetic stones! I usually look for a Koppa stone to see how I like it, then splurge from there if I really love the stone!

My current dilemma is that many of these stones are in the 4-6K or 8K-10K range. The Ozuka Asagi is much finer and harder, but scratchy feeling when doing kasumi finishes. The finer finishing stones above the 8-10K range are usually the expensive ones and I am not sure which one to look for next!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next