It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New stone to start sharpening.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you very much that was very helpful to know. Also, do you know when your company will have more of the "red brick"? Maybe you can help me in my search for what I am looking for, I have never sharpened kitchen knives before and I am unfamiliar with the process. However, from what I have read it seems that if u want to get the most longevity out of the blades you should stop at around 3 -5k is this accurate in ur opinion? I just recently bought the calphalon katana series which are VG1 if that helps you in what to maybe point me in the right direction towards. I was also looking at the Naniwa Aotoshi "green joy" as possibly a good starter stone and possibly use it as a finishing stone with less mud? Any help and guidance is very appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: New stone to start sharpening.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

The 5pc set you were looking at is fine but I think you would do well learning to sharpen on just 1 stone and the Green brick would be an excellent choice. The reason is it will allow you to save some money up front and the green brick is an ideal grit to give you a nice edge and it still cuts fast enough to produce a good edge quickly. Then you can experiment and add items as you go. I hate to see people spend a ton of money on a bunch of stuff and then not use it. By trying just 1 stone you lower your entry price to learn the skill and see if it excites you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:57 pm 

"from what I have read it seems that if u want to get the most longevity out of the blades you should stop at around 3 -5k is this accurate in ur opinion?"

Ideally you will remove the minimal amount of metal to get the edge as sharp as YOU need/want it to be. In order to do this, you want to minimize the amount of grinding on coarser stones to just as much as is "needed".

How coarse do you need to go? That depends on how bad the edge is. If there are large, visible chips in the edge, a 400 grit stone or even coarser might be called for. If the edge is not damaged, merely lost its sharpness, then a 1k or even 2k stone would often be fine. Starting on as fine a stone as is needed will probably go further in extending the life of your knife than how fine a stone you end on. For routine upkeep of an edge in good condition, you can start on a 2k or 4k stone with almost no metal removal necessary.

Once you have established an edge the entire length of the blade, you want to move up in grit level. How far up you move is preference. For most kitchen applications a 4k-6k edge is about as refined as you will typically need. Going to high grit stones wont really wear your knife out quicker because at such a high level of refinement you are not removing a whole lot of metal at a time, but your knife won't necessarily perform better for your effort.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 am 

What I was referring to was from reading that if you go to fine in grit it will result in a very sharp and fine V shape blade that will become dull faster due to having such a refined edge. It seemed to suggest that a 3-6k range would stay sharp longer than say a 10k. Seems accurate to me, sort of like wanting a only slightly sharp axe, too sharp and it gets dulled down quickly because the V is to narrow at the impact point...?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 am 

Yes, in theory the lower the refinement the longer an edge will last. Many more knowledge than myself have stated their findings concur with this theory.

Personally, there are too many variables at play for me to believe theory over my own experiences. In my hands, as a lowly home cook, I can't say I have noticed that a 500, 1k, or 2k edge lasts much if at all longer compared to a 5k edge(highest level I currently take my knives).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 am 

I find it depends a lot on the knife and type of steel it is. I have a white steel #1 that I sharpen to a 4000 thousand and it lasts me all day at work. ( about 14 hours).
If I go much higher it tends to chip just from basic use.

On the other hand I have blue steel #2 that I sharpen to an 8000 grit. It does tend to get dull faster but it is a pleasure to work with. I have never gotten any chips with this knife either.

I do agree if you are just getting into it the green brick of joy is the way to go. I use a 1000 2000 4000 6000 and 8000 when sharpening, and where I stop just depends on the knife. I have 15000 grit stone, but I never use it. I hope this helps and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm 

Ok thanks for the advice I ordered the green brick and a universal stand and a strop. Anyway here is a follow up question that I can't seem to fine a definitive answer for; I was looking for a honing steel for my knives, I want one thats fine grit some I pretty much gathered that I need a ceramic one, however this is where I have gotten stuck, The DMT CS2 is a 7 micron, 2200 mesh, while the Idahone Ceramic Fine says it is about 1200 grit, however I am unsure if they are referring to ANSI grit or J1200 or what unit of measurement. However, If they are talking about ANSI then 1200 grit ANSI is about J3000 grit, correct?

Chart for conversions: (unsure of its accuracy tho however)
https://www.fine-tools.com/G10019.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:52 pm 

You could just use your strop rather than a steel. But the Idahone is a really good product. I wouldn't get to wrapped up in the grit thing. Its all about light pressure and technique.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm 

Hello,
My sharpening experience was with Arkansas oil stones and sharpening at approx a 20 degree angle.

I purchased the green brick with diamond plate and stand. A much softer stone and at an approx 14 degree angle.

I found the stone very forgiving and easy to flatten when I would dig the blade in to the stone.

I found that soaking for 15 to 20 minutes helped and I learned to have amuch softer touch. I now just set stones on top of diamond plate on stand and realize if I am moving the stone I am putting way to much pressure.

I now feel very comfortable with this stone and the reduced angle. I second the idea that this is a perfect starter stone.

Now being comfortable I have ordered a 400 grit stone as I have been sharpening everything and want a lower grit stone to faster fix chips etc.
Thanks
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 am 

As Pete said the Idahone is a great tool if you use it right. It is my understanding that the 1200 grit rating IS ANSI.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next