It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening and maintaining my TKC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
I recently received a Kikuichi chefs knife from cktg. Simply, its great. Sharp out of the box, for a while. I am a chef and primarily use my french/gyuto knife. After about a week and a half of fairly heavy use I've noticed a slight roughness on the edge. It is still razor sharp but there is definitely a difference.
I have not honed it or put it on a stone. I have a ceramic honing steel that says its rated at 1200. I also have a 250/1000 combo wetstone and King 6000 grit stone. I've been looking around for some stones to fill in the gaps between grits. I use these on my german knives too. What do you recommend? And what would be the best thing to put to the Kikuichi?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening and maintaining my TKC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi T,

I think you have all the equipment you need to maintain the knife and keep it sharpe. Use you stones and sharpen the knife. I would most likely use the 1K and 6K only unless you have some micro chips you want to remove.

After you have it sharp I would use the 1200 grit rod to maintain the edge. Just a few light swipes at the same angle you sharpen at is all it takes to keep the edge alligned.

I like stropping my knife a bit after the 6K so that would be the only thing I might add to your set. Try a horse leather strop for an easy 1 strop solution.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening and maintaining my TKC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree with Mark. if you want, you can add 1µ Boron Carbide semi paste or another 1µ compound to your line up.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]