It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:02 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening tips for my Hattori FH
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

I recently purchased a set of shapton 500,1000,4000 and 800 glass stones. I am attempting to sharpen a Hittori FH Santuku by placing the back of the knife on my thumb and touching the stone with the side of my thumb at 2 penny height when sharpening. I am not getting a burr. Any idea what I can be doing wrong?

thanks in advance,

Joel

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening tips for my Hattori FH
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, paint the edge with a magic marker and adjust the angle you are sharpening at so you remove the mark on the edge. That should give you the approximate edge angle.

Also, most beginning sharpeners make the mistake of jumping too quickly from the low grit stone to the finer stone. Grind until you get a burr.

Also, don't drag your thumb on the stone or else you will end up with a bloody thumb.

Try these 3 tips and get back to us and tell us how it went. I'm sure you will get some more beginner tips from the other guys too.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]