It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Develop sharpening technique on Tojiro DP?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:49 pm 

So at some point I'd like a Masakage, Anryu, or some other similar, hand-forged Japanese knife, but before I do that I'd like to get my sharpening skills really up to scratch. I already made a thread asking for stone recommendations, but am I better off furthering my technique with my not-the-easiest-to-sharpen Tojiro DP, or get a <$100 carbon steel nakiri or something (Yamashin maybe?), which I know will sharpen easily and presumably give me more feedback?

Post subject: Re: Develop sharpening technique on Tojiro DP?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 pm 

I love Tojiro DP line, some say they are difficult to sharpen but I fine it very enjoyable because they do such a good heat treatment to the steel.

Some of my favorite edges came from a,

1k/5k Nubatama
1k king and 2k green brick
And my favorite 1k/6k Arashiyama, the 6k provided the most impressive edge by far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 am 

I have very little sharpening experience and only 1 King combo stone and on my first try I got my Tojiro assassin sharp with a nice tooth to it.

It was the 3rd knife and 3rd time I tried sharpening.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 am 

Tojiro DP is somewhat harder than some of my knives, but it is an overstatement to say it is hard to sharpen. I learned on my DP. Unless you are looking for an excuse to get an inexpensive carbon steel knife to learn on, I would give the DP a try. Besides, once you got that down, the Hitachi carbon steels in the knives you listed will be butter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:35 am 

When I switched to Japanese knives, I practiced sharpening on my old Henkles. I think Henkle steel is softer than the VG10 steel of the Tojiro Dp line of knives. For me, the most important thing to remember is to let the stone do the work by not pressing the knife too hard into the stone. More strokes, less pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:55 am 

I would go for it, I always used my older knives when I was learning, I never cared about scratching them up, which was always my biggest issue. For me it was easy to keep a consistant angle, except for the transition on a sweep to the tip, when I would do them quickly. Hence, little tiny scratches all over the end of the blade.

If you get used to a steel like the VG-10, Carbon will be even easier still.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:28 am 

I learned on VG-10 and shit stainless along with Molybdenum vanadium SS. It sucked and took forever to get it going but the results were fantastic as I learned more and more. Now to sharpen carbon and other really nice stainless steels is a joy. (19C27, R2, AEBL, 8CR13MOV, AS, W#1)

I'd say the things I focused on first when learning how to sharpen was holding the correct angle and not wobbling. If you can't get this down pat, you aren't going to get the best edge possible.

After that I can't really point out what progressed my results further, but pressure is one thing that has helped a ton. I used to put far too much pressure on my finishing stones.

Sharpening is easy, you just have to keep at it and keep learning. I'm not saying I'm the greatest but I have picked up the skill in a fairly short amount of time and have gotten great results with patience, practice and persistence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 am 

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but is there some trick to determining the angle, short of the "stacking coins" thing I've seen in various places?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am 

Search sharpie trick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Nothing wrong with learning to sharpen on VG-10! Like others have said, carbon steels will be much easier after that! Nothing wrong with getting an inexpensive carbon like a Yamashin or Tanaka and practicing on that, you can also practice flattening the blade road and kasumi finishes if you want on the carbons, too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]