It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: want to get started sharpening
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm 

Hello,

I posted in knife recommendations about a gyuto, among others, and was offered some excellent advice. I am looking for a beginner's minimal sharpening kit that will still get my knives extremely sharp. Beside the Goko damascus blade I purchased, I have a wushtof 10" chef's knife that really needs sharpening, and I'm hoping they can both use the same grits.

Will a 1000/6000 stone, a cork, and a holder suffice? The 8 piece kit looks enticing, but I just can't put $230 into it right now.

Post subject: Re: want to get started sharpening
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 pm 

Add a stone holder and you should be good with this set http://www.chefknivestogo.com/4pcshstset.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:35 am 

The two sided stone should be tall enough that you don't absolutely need a stone holder to use it. It is probably a good idea to have one, but I usually just set my stone on an old hand towel next to the sink. On an average-height single-sided stone (actually the Arashiyama 1K in that set Jason linked you) I find I have enough hand clearance without using a stone holder (my fingers are fairly slender). The stones are heavy enough I have never found them to slide around.

A 1k/6k stone like the Imanishi should be fine for what you need. Getting the Arashiyama set may be a better long-term investment though. I use a cork for deburring when necessary, but the felt block could be a bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:48 am 

Another option that was mentioned before(I can't remember whom by) is to use a bar mat. I started doing this when i sharpen at work. It functions great and can catch a decent bit of water too.

And +1 the Arashiyama set. I Quite enjoy mine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 am 

I got started with the Arashiyame set, it's a great way to get started fairly inexpensively. I still love those stones now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 pm 

The bar mat suggestion was my post. I'm glad it works for you as well bbc. I turn the stone perpendicular when I am working on the left side so a sink bridge does me no good. I got tired of water all over the counter using a wet towel, or maybe rather my wife got tired of it :). I looked at a bar mat one day and eureka! Problem solved. Like bbc said, it keeps the stone from slipping around and holds quite a bit of water as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 pm 

If the knives are just needing a quick strop on the fine grit stone you shouldn't worry too much. I just started bringing my 5k stone to work and it was the best thing I have ever done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 am 
Forum Moderator

1K/6K combo stone, $56:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

$60 strop set: Base, stone flattener, leather and balsa strops. I often use leather strops to deburr instead of cork.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm 

The Arashiyama set is a great starting point, like others have said, just add the stone holder and you are in business.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]