It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: First attempt at thinning....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm 

So I was about to sharpen my Tojiro DP gyutou, when I thought, "hm, it's never been thinned before." All I have is a 1000 grit King stone. I followed the thinning instructions from here and about a million YT videos, and my results are...not pretty. I certainly thinned the edge, but the blade road (right term?) is really 1. scratched up and 2. very unevenly scratched up, almost blotchy looking. Is that normal? I know people use a coarser stone for thinning usually, so wouldn't that look even worse? How does one maintain a fairly even scratch pattern on a blade without a shinogi?

Post subject: Re: First attempt at thinning....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm 

I'm afraid I don't have a solution going forward, but I have run into this problem with the Tojiro DP myself. The cladding on the DP is quite soft and scratches easily. While not a problem for performance, it is a nuisance aesthetically. Luckily, because the cladding is soft it sands/polishes very well. I used abrasive Scotch-Brite pads, bought at the hardware store next to the steel wool to polish up my entire blade. The logo is very shallow so you would likely lose it in the process, but with a three pad progression I got to a frosted, reflective, but not quite mirrored finish on mine. Since I have the pads around any time I get scratches I can blend them out pretty easily. You could take it to a mirror polish with a polishing compound like Flitz, but I figured it'll get a bit scared with time, and the finish I have cleans nicely and actually reduces wedging by making the blade sides smoother.

Hope this helps some. I am actually wanting to do a bit of a write up sometime with pictures, but I am a bit lazy about that so don't hold your breath.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:02 pm 

Thanks, glad to know it wasn't entirely my first-timer's foolishness. Good to know Scotch-brite will take care of it too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Yup, scotchbrite or "non woven abrasive pads" from Norton also work! I got to try this out finally with a customers knife that had been thinned a bit and had some scratches left over. Most hardware stores will sell a green and maroon pad for metal prep/rust removal. It looks to be pretty much the same as the Norton stuff I use. The Grey Norton pad works well as the last step, the white adds a bit of shine to the blade if I want it to look prettier. I strop on these pads on the counter or hard surface; you can do a satin finish (perpendicular to the edge) or a "hand rub" (parallel to the edge) with the pads, but you will probably need to touch up the edge again after doing so with the last stone you used.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... ive%20pads

220, 320, 400, 600 grit sandpaper also works when used with a cork backer or hard felt to remove the scratches/refinish a blade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:19 am 

I use finger stones some times to help blend scratches. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fingerstones.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:24 am 

I've had the very same problem. Like taz said using sandpaper of lower grits with a progression usually does the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:00 am 

Taz, I stole the Scotch-Brite idea from you, thanks ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]