It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stropping my tactical knives
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi I would like to ask your opinion on the following subject:
I've become interested in stropping my folding knives and fixed blade tactical/survival knives. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for these knives with great results. I've tried stropping on regular leather with chromium oxide bars following the sharpmaker with less than desirable results. With some research I have decided on using balsa wood and kangaroo leather strops with HandAmerican diamond sprays as I've read that those infamous green bars we all know of are actually very inconsistent in their abrasive size in microns.

My question is, would you recommend using the 1 micron diamond spray, followed by the 0.5 micron diamond spray on separate balsa strops, followed by 0.25 diamond spray on your kangaroo strop? Also, I would like to use an even finer compound after the 0.25 diamond spray, so would you recommend Ken's 0.1 CBN spray or Ken's 0.1 diamond spray on a kangaroo strop? Or would you recommend an even finer spray and/or a different type of strop following the 0.25 diamond spray? I plan on purchasing all of these products from your website and I would appreciate your honest opinions. Thank you for your time,

Jeff

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Stropping my tactical knives
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:08 pm 

Well your on the right road buddy.

The only thing I might change is swapping out for Polycrystalline on Nanocloth (particulairly in the final sprays)
CBN on Roo will leave a very bright smooth edge with less "bite" than Poly on Nanocloth. Even given the same particle size.

Say:
Roo/HA Sprays 1 , 0.5 and 0.25
Nanocloth/Poly 0.1 , 0.050 and 0.025

There are 2x6" sizes of these strops available that will work well on a wide variety of knives.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:14 am 

I strop with straight leather for the hunting knives I've sharpened. On the spyderco I did I went to 5k on my sue hiro rika, I spent quite a while going back and polishing the blade the day after sharpening. I then stropped with leather, they come out polished and very sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

There is no right or wrong answer but in general I like the balsa on the less fine diamond sprays and cbn sprays. I like the roo and nano cloth on the finer sprays. I tend to use horse by itself.

The idea is that roo and nano cloth are super fine substrates so they don't participate in the polishing of the edge so the super fine sprays can do all the work. Ken showed a while back the results of nano cloth stropped on a blade that was absolutely clean after he was done and this showed to me that it was not working the edge at all. Having a completely neutral substrate allows the super fine spray to polish at super fine grits.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to post my question on your site's forum. I've never used a forum of any kind before so it did not cross my mind to use one for my questions. I do however, have another question that I believe could not be answered on the forum. The description of the 3x8" nano cloth strops on your site says that the nano cloth comes mounted on a balsa wood backing. However, when reading the description on the 2x6" nano cloth strop, it says that the 3x8" nano cloth strop comes mounted on a glass backing. Given the hardness and complete flatness of a glass backing I would prefer a 3x8" nano cloth strop to be mounted on a glass backing. My question is that which backing is your 3x8" nano cloth strop mounted on? I believe there was some sort of error when typing the description of this particular product. Thank you again for your time, it is much appreciated and I look forward to placing an order soon.

Jeff

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

We had a few break in shipping so we switched to balsa. I still have 1 of the glass 3x11 in stock with the nano.

Ken hated putting them on balsa (it was too much work) so we will switch back to glass after the balsa ones run out in the next couple months.

BTW the whole "but glass is flatter" thing really doesn't matter when you're free hand stropping. Balsa is PLENTY flat enough for free hand stropping so don't let that scare you off. It also won't arrive in splintered little shards of glass that you have to pour out of the shipping box. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]