It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Removing stone bases...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:08 pm 

Morning y'all,
The majority of my stones have a plastic or wooden base. I would like to remove them now as they are becoming more of a nuisance with each use. I haven't found any solid solutions searching the web, but one thread I read suggested putting them in a cold oven, bringing it up to 160D, then pulling them out. Has anyone ever tried this, or have another solution?

Thanks,
Charlemagne

Post subject: Re: Removing stone bases...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 pm 

I've heated the plastic base with a hair dryer and it came loose from the stone fairly easily. The issue is really removing the glue, or whatever it is, from the stone. I've never had a problem with the wood based stones and have never attempted to remove one. I can be pretty cavalier about things like this . I expect most would say leave the bases on so the stone isn't damaged in the attempt to remove them. I can't imagine wanting to heat the stone itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 pm 

If you have any Naniwa stones with the plastic base just leave'em, parting the Red Sea is easier.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 am 

Can't say anything about stones but we use heat from a soldering station or heat gun and acetone to remove all kinds of epoxy, glues etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 am 
Forum Moderator

I cut and grind the bases off, but I haven't had to do this in years since I rarely buy a stone with a base. Anything else and you risk cracking the stone and sometimes the cracking won't show up for a while. You should be quite skilled and careful doing this if you like all 10 of your fingers :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:50 pm 

Thanks guys, definitely gonna give it a go on one soon. I don't have equipment to grind off the bases, so I think I'm gonna let one stew in warm water for a bit, then attempt to pry it off. Over-heating the stone is a concern, but I gotta give it a shot. Good or bad, I'll update the result.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:46 am 
Forum Moderator

"Anything else and you risk cracking the stone and sometimes the cracking won't show up for a while.":

Prying AND heat are two ways to increase the likelihood of failure. Just saying. BTW WHY are you removing the bases? There may be other alternatives here.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 am 

Hey Ken,
Thanks for your concern, and I did risk some serious issues taking them off, but it went well. To answer your question, I kept the stones in water, which resulted in some warping and deformity, plus I'm not really loving the look anymore. I went ahead with removing it and it turned out great except for all the ugly epoxy, which isn't a real problem for me. No visible hairline cracks to be seen, just a few micro-chips that a good chamfering will take care of.

I placed the stones in a pan with water just 1-2mm up the stone, brought it to simmer and let it sit off heat for about 20 minutes or so. Then I slid a mini spatula under the stone width-wise and shimmied it along the entire underside until it was off. The damage seen on the Arashiyama 6K is an old one from a drop a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:40 am 

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/charlemagneguarin/20140611_215441_zps7a6a595b.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Looks pretty good. Now just get some real coarse sandpaper 36 or 80 grit or so and tack it down and grind the glue residue off of the stone so you can use both sides of the stone. Glad it worked out.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]