It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Next stone after a King 1000?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:37 pm 

I've had a Tojiro DP 240 gyutou for about 5 years now, along with a King 1000 stone. I think I've used the stone 3 times, including most recently just last week. Obviously, 3 uses in 5 years is a good indicator that I'm a home cook! But I want to get more serious about keeping my knife and future knives properly sharp, so I'm looking to add a stone or stones.

Last week, I tried thinning and tip repair on the 1000 stone, and I think next time I should do it on something coarser. After sharpening, I also stropped on cardboard (emergency recommendation from a Murray Carter video), not having anything finer than 1000. The knife was much sharper than when i started - shaves arm hair and cuts paper and food more or less fine, but it doesn't seem to do so quite as easily as demonstrated by Mark and Shaun in their sharpening videos going up to 5000 or whatever.

I was thinking of getting the Shapton Pro 320, 1000, and 5000 set, but then thought maybe I should save money and not bother with a 1000 since I already have the King (and the money saved will go towards a stone flattener, which i don't have). Or would I be better off staying with the same type of stone?

Post subject: Re: Next stone after a King 1000?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:57 pm 

The Shapton Pro 320 and 5000 would be fine additions to your King 1k. The King is a little slow for a 1k but being a home cook that shouldn't matter much. I would do as you say and get a flattening plate instead of a new 1k for now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm 

Cool, thanks. How do the Shaptons feel compared to the King?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm 

The low grit of a 320 will have a new feel for you. Check your work frequently and use very light pressure until you get used to it. It will remove a lot of metal very fast. I can't compare the king to the 5k Pro because I've never used either. I have other Pro stones and they are hard stones, I assume(a word you should not use around here) much harder than the King. I do have tho Pro 320, 1k and 2k, I personally enjoy them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:19 pm 

Does harder mean they will remove metal faster given the equivalent grit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

No, but harder stones usually dish a little slower and are said by many to have less feedback but knives affect feedback also. Just something else to get used to. Some people enjoy harder stones some softer, it's a personal preference thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 pm 

I currently use a King Ice Bear 1.2k/4k/6k (also have a Naniwa Super Stone 8k, but only use it for straights) and my edges get as sharp as my skills allow. I do not feel the stones hold me back.

If I were you, I would fill in around the 1k you have. One coarse stone, one fine stone, and a flattening plate will take you edges to a new level.

As far as which, I cannot make any recommendations outside the Kings, and I hesitate to recommend them since they are my only real standard. I actually want to try some of the other stones here, the Shapton Pro, Arashiyama, and Nubatama specifically catch my eye, but haven't made them a priority yet. FWIW, I think the King 6k is the best of the lot. It is soft, but I love the feel I get off of it, and I am pretty happy with the edge it leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:59 pm 

Since you have the 1K King this set would round out your progression nicely. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

I'm not a fan of the Shapton Pro stones personally. No offense meant Jeff. Nothing wrong with them just not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm 

pjwoolw wrote:Since you have the 1K King this set would round out your progression nicely. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

I'm not a fan of the Shapton Pro stones personally. No offense meant Jeff. Nothing wrong with them just not my cup of tea.

This is more than I'd like to spend, I'm afraid. Also, based on various reviews and videos, I'm fairly sold on Shapton Pro. What don't you like about them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 am 

Its all personal preference. Trial and error. I find the Shapton Pro 2K to be hard feeling and gives very little feedback. But I get very good results with it on softer steels. The 320 is a good stone but I wouldn't buy another. For me they aren't worth any further investment. Since I have them I use them but I don't like them. Not to say you won't like them.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next