It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Add or replace?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

i have the bester 1200 & Suehiro 5000 stones. Is this a good set to do the initial and finish sharpening or should i think about adding a courser stone?

Regards,
glenn

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Add or replace?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:28 pm 

That should be perfect for sharpening and finishing your blades. The coarser stones are good for blade repair like resetting bevels or fixing chips. A 1200 grit is fine for starting with and the 5k is great for finishing. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glen,

In general I always think it's better to build on what you have especially if you have a couple good stones and I do like the ones you have. I like the bester 1200 and I really like the Rika.

A lower grit stone will speed your work and save your 1200 from some of the grinding that is needed to cut a new edge. So if I were you I would try a good low grit stone to add to the set. Try the Latte 400 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/la400grst.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

IMO if you are sharpening dull knives, then a lower grit stone is important to cut a fresh bevel w/o taking a long time. Unless every knife you have is already sharp and none need a chip repair, get a coarse stone for those times when you need one. Like when your friends or relatives have knives so dull you just can't stand it and offer to sharpen one or two of them :-).

The Latte 400 is a favorite here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/la400grst.html and would work well with your set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 pm 

For maintaining your knives. These are sufficient. However if you are starting with very dull knives that need to have the bevel reset or you are planning on doing some sharpening for others. You might want to add something coarser. I like the latte 400.

There were two posts made while I was cut and pasting the link info . Mark beat me to it. So my recommendation is the same as above.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

To the OP, in the spirit of the glove in the OJ trial: "If there's three, you must agree!".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 pm 

I'm a big fan of the Shapton Pro 320. Have never used the latte.
You would have a good complete set at that point with what you already have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 am 

You wont use the grit stone all the time, but man, when you do it sure is worth it.

My next purchase will be the latte.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 am 

agree... late, bester 1200, rika, great progression for everything from german steel to pm, and everything in between. if im in a real hurry I use my dmt 220 and go right to the 1200. the bester does a great job removing heavy scratch's. but in all honesty the time saver here is not needing to soak the dmt, I find my latte cuts almost as fast and leaves a better finish. get the latte and don't look back!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]