It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Imanishi combo stone - soak time
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:58 pm 

Hi all,

Just received my new 1k/6k combo stone and holder from Mark (as well as the new Goko 240 Damascus - wow it's nice) and have a question. How long do I soak the stone? Going to practice on a different knife and want to start out right. I need to work my way up before tackling the Goko but I think it needs it as what little handling I've done with it so far seems to suggest it doesn't come very sharp out of the box (could definitely be wrong as novice as I am).

Off topic question - I've seen people sharpen in sections, going back and forth in both directions (like the video here). And I've seen people sharpen in one direction only covering the entire blade as they go. I guess both are acceptable and I should just try both and see which feels better to me?

Thanks!
Chris

Post subject: Re: Imanishi combo stone - soak time
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm 

Your Goko wasn't very sharp? o.O Wow... I'm interested to know if anyone else has the same issue with their Goko hammered damascus knives... the shiny damascus blades seemed to be fine, at least the ones people have talked about here.

Regardless, if you sharpen section by section you will need to make sure to do some blending strokes on the stone or you could end up with an uneven edge. It would be best to do the whole blade as that would give the most even edge, but yes, either would work and really depends on what feels right to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 pm 

Soak it about 10min Chris and you should be fine. If you put it under water and see bubbles coming from it just wait for the bubbles to stop.

Watch this video. I find this to be one of the easiest techniques and this guy sharpens professionally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:10 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Soak it about 10min Chris and you should be fine. If you put it under water and see bubbles coming from it just wait for the bubbles to stop.

Watch this video. I find this to be one of the easiest techniques and this guy sharpens professionally.

Thanks for this video - he's got a few techniques going and it's very helpful. The turning of the blade and trying to go in a x pattern is a little challenging especially as he's left handed. Think I got the gist of it though.

Total disclaimer on the Goko - I'm a novice. But I did try the paper cut and it didn't work very well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:34 pm 

I found I had to soak mine for about 20 minutes... that seemed just perfect for me. Just got mine and my Kohetsu in the mail today ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:40 pm 

"I guess both are acceptable and I should just try both and see which feels better to me?"

Good results are what matters. Consistency is the hardest part of getting good results. Use a technique that allows you to get results you like. I would try a number of techniques to find what works for you. I just recently changed part of my technique because I felt I had more control. Of course, it is hard to argue with what the pros do :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]