It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Strop set instructions on how to use.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I recently received the Richmond Strop Set and have a quick question. Should/can I use the included diamond spray on either the balsa or leather strops? What’s the difference between the two (leather vs. balsa) and why would I use one over the other. Is there a way, or do I even need to clean off the spray after use?

Also, I purchased the Edge-pro Essential kit a little while ago and wonder what you recommend to use as a flattening stone.

Thanks in advance!

John

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Strop set instructions on how to use.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yes you can use the spray on both but I put it together with the intention that you use the spray on the balsa and the horse butt without anything and use them in this order.

You can mix and match substrates with different sprays or pastes and they all work.

For flattening your stones I use the DMT: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

If you want to save money you can use coarse sand paper too.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Strop set instructions on how to use.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 pm 

Leather has a slight abrasive quality without anything added. Typically leather is used naked and as a last step. You can add abrasive to leather if you like, but leather is best as a final step. Balsa has no real abrasive qualities as is, but it is a great substrate for adding abrasives as sprays or pastes. You do not need to clean up the stop after applying abrasives. In fact you would pretty much have to sand down to clean surface to remove it. So only add abrasives to materials you don't mind changing, more or less, permanently. Reuse the balsa as is, adding additional spray infrequently...typically when the strop feels like it loosing some bite.

Good luck and have fun!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]