It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What strop combinations give the sharpest edge?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

HELLO,
I am new to stropping. I am a woodworker and use pocket knifes. I use a tri stone for sharpener. I see you different compounds black green etc. Which on gives you the sharpest edge? I think I would you liquid paste. But not sure what micron means (grit) I looked around on your forum for a expiation but could not find any thing thank Karl

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What strop combinations give the sharpest edge?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Karl,

This is a loaded question (sharpener joke...).

For a pocket knife I would sharpen it to make sure it maintained a toothy edge similar to my kitchen knife sharpening routine but different than say a wood chisel or a straight razor.

I think you would get better results using some good quality Japanese water stones but we can talk about that later.

For a strop, try using something firm like balsa as the sub-straight. If you have some you can just cut a piece and then spritz some diamond spray on it. It works really well. I would suggests you try 1 micron diamond spray. Just a couple spritzes ever 3rd or 4th time you use it is enough.

Then finish the edge with a piece of horse butt leather with nothing on it. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/holemapa.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:46 pm 

You can usually get balsa wood at a craft or hobby store. The craft store will have planks around 3' long and the hobby store might have blocks. I typically get a plank and make multiple strops for different compounds, but a block is nice if you want a multiple sided strop and can stand alone as it will give you knuckle clearance. It is usually pretty cheap, so if something happens to one of your balsa strops, it costs almost nothing to replace.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 pm 

Yeah the first thing I would be doing would be ditching the tristone.

Get the 140 atoma , 150 Nubatama , And then switch over to the shaptons (i like the pro) in 220 , 1k , 1500 ,2k and 5k.
See where that gets you and then you can add higher grit stones or strops as you see fit.

Or you could go to HD Diamond Films Mounted on Glass. Then you can ditch the Atoma and Waterstones , and go something like this.
165u , 80u , 45u , 15u , 9u , 3u.
These are more cost effective and stay perfectly flat. They aren't popular around here , but there has been a myriad of improvements made to them since Mark got his first batch and I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

1µ Boron Carbide on leather for stropping - the berries to be....

Try it!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi Karl,

Well let's get the first question answered - What's a micron? Particles are measured in size by microns so it is a unit of measure. Since you are familiar with grits, let's convert. Without getting distracted by different conversions, use this table

1 micron = 16,000 grit
2 micron 8k grit
4 micron 4k grit
8 m 2k
16 m 1k
etc - just keep doubling and halving.

Going the other way
.5 micron = 32k
.25 64k
.125 128k
.1 160k
.050 320k
.025 640k

So now the answer to the second question - what gives the sharpest edge is pretty obvious - the finer the compound the sharper the edge. So of the available compounds, the 0.025 micron compound gives the finest edge.

What surface do you want to put it on? (This is called a substrate). A surface that doesn't interfere with the compound so you actually get the finest edge. Here nanocloth is a clear winner - it produces no interference at all - finer than balsa, horse or cow leather and even a bit finer than Kangaroo leather, which is as fine a leather as you can get for stropping.

I can go into more detail, but this is a direct and precise answer to your question.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:40 pm 

Awesome advice, as usual, DefMunky & Ken. You guys are the greatest for helping us novices get started! Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm 

...the finer the compound the sharper the edge.

Ken, you know that's opening up a can of worms. And by the time this thread dies someone will be in here saying they have actually stropped on a can of worms and it leaves a toothy edge.

I'll call you tonight BTW.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 pm 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:... And by the time this thread dies someone will be in here saying they have actually stropped on a can of worms and it leaves a toothy edge.

LOL!!! Ok... now my sides hurt...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]