It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need a Stone Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 am 

This year for Christmas I finally started the process of upgrading my current set (Calphalon Katana) with some REAL knives. My present was a JCK Basic 240mm Gyuto. After some research this knife appeared on several "Good Beginner Knife" lists.
So now that I have the knife, I need to start my sharpening stone collection. I think I will start with a single stone and learn the process with the one stone. I have narrowed it down to Shapton (Pro or Glass), King deluxe, or Naniwa super stone. The price difference is not much of an issue. Is there any reason to pick any of these over the others? Also, what grit should I get (1k, 1.5k, 2k)?
Thanks in advance for all your help.

Post subject: Re: Need a Stone Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:54 am 

1k is a good starter stone. It can give a VERY usable edge for a kitchen knife. I might suggest getting a strop kit to go with it as well to refine the edge the 1k will leave though. 1k stones make nice teeth on the edge for cutting, and the strop will help to refine and smooth out the teeth even further.

If I were to only go with one stone, I'd probably go with the Shapton Pro 1k. It has a case which can act as a stone holder and is thick so it should last a long time. Then I would pick up one of these: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html

It has a stone holder (also great for a Shapton or any other stone), a flattening plate which will help you keep whatever stone you buy flat, a leather strop and a balsa wood strop. They have magnetic backings so the flattening plate will act as a base. You can find other strops and the compounds/sprays to use on them here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/strops.html

They're the 3" x 8" strops at the top. Not absolutely needed but very easy to add on later after you have your basic starting kit. Plus with the flattening plate you will have a way to fix any serious damage that might occur, like a broken tip or a severe chip.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:41 pm 

If I could only have one stone it would definitely be a 1K...but not any of those you have listed. I have the King and its a good starter stone, very smooth but rather slow. I also have the Nubatama Ume 1K medium...much faster and a great stone overall. However, when I bought the Chosera 1K, those other 2 were pushed to the side! The Chosera cuts quickly, leaves a nice scratch pattern, and seems (to me anyway) to hold water better. Just my .02 :)

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:06 pm 

The Imanishi 1K/6K combo stone would be a good choice. Been eyeing that one myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:16 pm 

Just remember to not get hung up on this brand or that brand. Everyone has their preferences. If everyone liked the same stone, there would only be that one stone. lol ;) If you are only getting a single stone, just pick a 1k you think you might like and go from there. If you can afford to get the full 8 piece kit I linked to, do it! lol You'll be happier in the long run and have some decent stones to start out with. You can always upgrade, change out, or sell the stuff you don't want anymore later. lol ;)

The only way to know for sure what your preferences are is once you start using them and find out what you like or don't like about that particular stone. For instance, I have a King stone which has done a great job so far, it is just really muddy. That is why I want to try the Shaptons as they are harder and should be cleaner. Plus I think the Shaptons will remove metal faster, so that is kind of a small bonus. lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:44 pm 

I am going to recommend a splash and go stone instead of one you have to soak.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]