It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thanks Ken, and other folks...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:45 pm 

I been picking my brain about these damn sharpening stones for weeks now. Ken Scwhartz was nice to talk to he. He certainly can talk sharpening. I got some good suggestions of affordable japanese naturals that get the job done. I was ready to pull the plug on them but now decided to do a 180 and go with the Nubatama set from this site.

I decided to use synthetics to refine my skills. I've come to the conclusion that it would be silly to waste precious natural stones on cheapo professional kitchen stamped knives.

At a later date I will reward myself with a japanese natural. Hopefully sometime in the new year I can get Ken to touch up my Kohetsu. But not before I screw it up on the Nubatamas :)

Post subject: Re: Thanks Ken, and other folks...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:45 am 

Even if you practice on synthetics , once you switch over to Jnats its a whole new learning curve. :)

I have an order of 7 more Jnats sitting in limbo , as part of an ongoing order we have been working on for the past couple months. This is going to be exciting when it gets here.

Also Ken really can talk sharpening , I've learned more talking to him than all my reading and personal experience combined. Now its just to sit myself down and apply all this knowledge.

I bug him that if I could learn 1/10th of what he has forgotten about sharpening I would be doing good :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Ken can go on for hours... Ken does go on for hours. :lol: But if you can keep studious, you learn A LOT!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Let us know if you have any questions once you start working on your knife and we'll help you.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus wrote:Ken can go on for hours... Ken does go on for hours. :lol: But if you can keep studious, you learn A LOT!

Ken, we love you man.....but that's some funny stuff right there. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yessur... totally lighthearted jest. We love & respect ya, Ken! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 am 
Forum Moderator

" Melampus wrote:Ken can go on for hours... Ken does go on for hours. :lol: But if you can keep studious, you learn A LOT!

Ken, we love you man.....but that's some funny stuff right there. :)"

Yea It's the truth too. I really like to talk to my customers, so if we get to having a chat, bring some popcorn or a good single malt Scotch - or even a cigar :)

My Father said I must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle :)

I find I can transmit a LOT more info in a conversation rather than writing Pages of information by email.

So if you have a question leave me a message at 209 612 2790 if I don't pick up. The PM box is always overflowing so send email to ksskss at earthlink.net .

I really do like to teach and learn. Don't be shy.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:19 pm 

Thanks ken, I'm going to take you up on that...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:08 am 
Forum Moderator

I bought several J Nats from coarse to polishing. I now usually start J Nats at the Aoto stage and go up from there. 1200 and below are synthetics; faster to use. I then go to the RIka 5K or Aoto I just picked up and then J Nats from there.

I find that I use my 2 Hakka stones the most for a bitey edge for proteins, and the Yaginoshima Asagi if I want to go finer and then my Hideriyama if I want even finer, stropping on bare leather after the last stone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]