It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naniwa homestone 1000/3000
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

So far I have combo chinese waterstone 220/500, I have the 120 Naniwa Homestone and it's okay-ish as a beater stone. I put a main bevel on some cleavers and some axes so far.

For sharpening I also have and use a set of DMT: EC,C,F,EF stones. Some balsa strops with cheap Cr2O3 and they work ok.
I also use some European 'Klingspor' wet sandpaper on glass to sharpen once and a while.

I use Curtis Chung's method of sharpening.
I'm starting to master it and I can achieve hair splitting edges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxFtK4shVY

The naniwa homestone 1000/3000 combo is a cheap combo stone, I was thinking of getting it.

What do you guys think about this naniwa homestone stone? Have any of you fellows had the pleasure of using it?
Will it help me with my sharpenings of beater knives or is it a waste of money and I should save up for some better waterstones?

Post subject: Re: Naniwa homestone 1000/3000
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ahoy Matey! :)

I usually recommend combo stones to folks that are just starting to sharpen and don't want to invest a lot until they're sure they enjoy it. You are beyond that point so I would suggest you get a good stone that you can plug into your current collection of stones. My suggestion would be to get a good 1K or 2K stone and start to build a nice set of waterstones around it as time goes on. We have a bunch of worthy candidates. The Green brick would be a good one to start with. Our best selling stone in that grit range is the Bester 1.2 K. A third one that I like a lot is the Nubatama Ume 1K.

Whatever you decide come back and let us know how it works out.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Naniwa homestone 1000/3000
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:03 am 

Thanks much for your reply, Mark.

I did try one of those 1k/3k homestones out out with a CPM-S30V, the stone was soft, the soft abrasive was slow cutting and was breaking down easily, it sort of polished where it should have been a matte finish if that makes any sense.
It didn't cut right in my opinion.

I feel that I need something way better.

You guys have really good prices, now I'm eyeing the Arashiyama 1k, the 2k Green brick of joy and the Arashiyama 6k , I hear good things about those stones from a certain knifenut1013. Can you please tell me how these stones compare to the Choseras in feel, hardness/softness, swarf buildup on the stone, abrasive power? I would appreciate your input.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]